Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Duty free (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/duty-free-788951/)

Jana1963 Jun 8th, 2009 07:35 PM

Duty free

I would like to buy a bottle of perfume at a Duty Free shop at LAX.
I'm afraid when in Frankfurt , going to
a connecting flight it will be taken away from me . Am I right?

adrienne Jun 8th, 2009 07:46 PM

You can take 100ml of each item through security in a zip lock bag. Most perfumes are not larger than that unless you pay a fortune for it.

adrienne Jun 8th, 2009 07:50 PM

BTW - are you sure the perfume will be less expensive in Frankfort? Not all duty free items are less expensive than in the US. You'll be paying about 1.40 dollars to the Euro so you have to factor the exchange rate into the price.

yk Jun 8th, 2009 07:58 PM

I think the OP is flying:

LAX-FRA-Italy

She is asking: if she buys a bottle of perfume at LAX Duty Free, will it be confiscated when she changes planes at FRA.

I don't know if you will need to re-clear security at FRA. But the easiest solution would be to buy a perfume size less than 100ml.

Jana1963 Jun 8th, 2009 08:01 PM

I know, parfumes are best to buy in USA and you get them even cheeper when you can buy them duty free.

I have not direct flight to Rome, so I might have a problem with 1.7 fl oz bottle of perfume in Frankfurt.

adrienne Jun 8th, 2009 08:11 PM

As I stated above you can bring up to 100ml (3.4 oz) of liquid per item in a

adrienne Jun 8th, 2009 08:12 PM

per item in a 1 quart plastic bag. Why do you think you would have a problem with 1.7 oz as it is less than 3.4 oz.

Cowboy1968 Jun 8th, 2009 08:57 PM

You can take as much liquids thru security at FRA if and only if it is packed in a certified tamper-evident bag. According to TSA's website, not all airport in the US can supply those for duty free shoppers.
http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...vel_alert.shtm

spaarne Jun 8th, 2009 11:57 PM

Excellent citation Cowboy. Thank you. I've flown back from Amsterdam three times in the last year and make connections in either DTW or MSP. I put my liter of duty free Schiphol jenever in my checked luggage after claiming said luggage on arrival, before it gets on the next flight. Sometimes it's a hurry up.

For the OP, make sure you bring along a quart size Ziploc baggie to put your perfume in.

Alec Jun 9th, 2009 12:36 AM

The OP will definitely go through security (and passport control) before getting to the gate for the Italy flight at FRA. As others have advised, just put the perfume into a see-thru ziplock bag (leave room for your purchase, as you are only allowed to take one bag through security).

ekscrunchy Jun 9th, 2009 02:54 AM

The bigger question is: Why buy it it LAX?

If it is imported (European) perfume, the prices should be lower in Europe.

And if it is perfume made in the US, there is no duty to begin with, so duty-free will not result in much, if any, savings.

alanRow Jun 9th, 2009 03:10 AM

<<< You can take as much liquids thru security at FRA if and only if it is packed in a certified tamper-evident bag >>>

And it was bought on either an EU based airline or airside at an EU airport within the previous 24 hours.

So unless OP is flying Lufthansa metal (ie no codeshares) they will get it confiscated if it's over 100ml even if sealed in a bag

alanRow Jun 9th, 2009 03:11 AM

Slight correction - if bought at LAX then it won't get through security checks if it's more than 100ml in size. If bought midflight on an EU based airline then it will

Cowboy1968 Jun 9th, 2009 07:07 AM

alan.. maybe I was a bit unclear, or you did not read the TSA information:

You can transit at any EU airport with any amount of liquids when coming from the US IF the US duty free shop sealed them in ICAO-approved plastic bags -- according to the liberalized procedures of 2008. In that case you are treated as if you were on an intra-EU flight where those bags are compulsory at airport duty free shops. And OP does not have to fly Lufthansa from LAX to FRA and connect to Rome, but can use any airline IF the liquids are sealed in those specific bags.

It just does not work the other way around when someone flies EU-USA and connects in the US to another domestic destination.

hetismij Jun 9th, 2009 01:11 PM

Cowboy - it didn't work at Heathrow last year - security took someone's sealed bag off them - they had bought stuff in the US, but couldn't get it through security to fly on to Amsterdam. They were pee'd off and nearly got arrested, but had to give up their booze. Maybe no-one had told the security bods about it. This was at the beginning of June.

spaarne Jun 9th, 2009 01:48 PM

hetismij,

Cowboy said <i>IF the US duty free shop sealed them in ICAO-approved plastic bags</i>. Apparently not in that case. LHR enjoyed a fine bottle of Jack.