Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Durnstein - Schloss Durnstein or Richard Lowenherz?

Old Jul 22nd, 2003, 05:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want to stay in a nice hotel in Durnstein. I am wondering if anyone is familiar enough with both of these hotels to comment on their relative merits. Thanks!
Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 04:58 AM
jmw

topping for you because I've always wanted to visit Durnstein.

Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 05:59 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
It's been quite a few years, but when we stayed at the Richard Loewenherz we poked around the Schloss for the sake of comparison, and decided we'd made the right choice. The Loewenherz was a tad more relaxed, the outdoor restaurant more comfortable and scenic, and in general we felt it was less stuffy than the Baroque grandeur of the Schloss. Bring money.
Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 06:06 AM

How fun to find this thread! My husband and I stayed at Schloss Durnstein over 25 years ago (!) on our first European trip. It was our "splurge" of the trip at approx $18, although we still booked a room without a private bath. It was very lovely with a view of the Danube River. The breakfast was replete with heavy china and silver. We couldn't afford to eat dinner there (had to make do with bread, cheese, wine, etc) but I still remember that they were cooking on the terrace and how delectable the odors were wafting up to our window! We purchased one (!) wine glass with the logo and I just took a look at it. By the way, there is a wonderful winery there also so be sure you visit it. They are (were?) famous for their Gewurztraminer as I recall. You will love Durnstein.
Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 08:54 AM

We just stayed at the Schloss Durnstein, and I would have the opposite recommendation of Gardyloo. We loved the hotel. It was just beautiful and had an amazing view of the river. There was a beautiful outdoor and indoor pool as well. The rooms were great. We went to the Richard Lowenherz one night and it seemed very tired and worn out. A much different feel. I didn't see the rooms, so can't compare. Both restaurants were great -- the Schloss restaurant a bit more "contintental" and the Lowenherz a bit more "country". Both are expensive.
Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 08:55 AM

We stayed at the Richard Lowenherz two years ago and liked it very much. We had a big room with a great view of the river. Enjoyed a great meal on the terrace overlooking the river. Walked down to the Schloss and it seemed much more formal and exclusive (sign in the lobby basically saying if you're not staying here, please leave). the Lowenherz was a very good hotel with good service, food and accommodations.
Old Apr 29th, 2004, 10:48 AM
padbrasher

I am trying to decide between these hotels for my family's stopover this summer between Salzburg and Vienna. Does either hotel offer air-conditioning or is it not necessary in the Wachau Valley in August? Their websites do not mention a/c.

The Durnstein has an outdoor and an indoor pool? Does the Lowenherz have either?

Thanks.