Durham Castle or Lumley Castle?

Sep 19th, 2017, 11:42 AM
Original Poster

Durham Castle or Lumley Castle?

I am currently in the early planning stages for a trip to England this coming summer. I'll be taking my son, daughter-in-law and my granddaughter who will be 12. This is what she is referring to as the medieval trip. When I took the family ( son/ daughter, spouses and 3 grand kids ) to Europe in 2016, my granddaughter became very interested in all things medieval which has been my avocation and area of study. I thought her interest would wane but not so. She's actually become very knowledgeable and so that pretty much decided my next trip.

We will be staying at Hever Castle for 3 nights but will also be traveling to York. I thought another castle stay would be fun. I found Lumley Castle online and we can get there from Durham by taxi. I am coming across some negative reviews which have me reconsidering so was wondering if anyone has stayed here and could comment about their stay.

I am also looking at Durham Castle, but it has mixed reviews too, and I'm finding it difficult to get much information. Have decided I will probably need to contact them to get any details on rooms, availability etc. but thought someone on Fodors might be able to help too.
Sep 19th, 2017, 01:06 PM

Presumably you're aware that the rooms at Durham Castle are only available when the University is on break; the castle is occupied by Durham University most of the time.

Have a look here - https://www.dur.ac.uk/event.durham/v...tion/bedrooms/ - and
http://www.universityrooms.com/en/ci...e/durhamcastle . You ought to be able to figure out if it's a workable option.

Regardless of whether you stay in the castle or not, a visit to Durham Cathedral (the castle is adjacent) is a must-do thing. For anybody interested in medieval buildings, the cathedral (which gets my vote for the single most spectacular church, even building, in Britain, is something that cannot be missed. "Spectacular" doesn't even come close.
Sep 19th, 2017, 01:20 PM

Me personally -- I'd maybe not stay in a second castle but in central York surrounded by Medieval bldgs.

or - Have you looked at Walworth castle - It is newer but in Medieval design.
Sep 19th, 2017, 01:36 PM
Original Poster

Gardyloo, yes, I am aware that rooms are only available when the university is on break but was wondering if their special rooms ( I believe there are two including the Bishops room ) might be available. So will need to contact them regardless.

I certainly agree on the idea of visiting Durham Cathedral. It is probably my favorite among England's great cathedrals, but it has been years since I've been there. If we do stay at Lumley Castle, I want to spend some time in Durham. Doing so with luggage is the problem. Still thinking that one through.

janisj, we will be visiting York. How can one miss it if the trip theme is medieval history? This will be my 7th trip to York and can't wait to show it to my family.

Will have a look at Walworth Castle.

Search this Thread