Girl Talk -- Clothing for Amalfi Coast and Rome, 9/28-10/8

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18th, 2012, 12:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All. I understand the weather is generally in the low 70's in the daytime in late Sept - early Oct, but it looks like the temperature is still in the low 80's right now . . . and projected to stay that way through 9/27. Just curious, do people dress like summer on the Amalfi Coast (and Rome) in October when the weather is still warm? In other words, can we wear white or light shorts, colorful tanks, etc or will we stick out like sore thumbs? I don't think I have much in the way of "autumn warm weather" wear . . .

Thanks.
Old Sep 18th, 2012, 12:47 PM

Honestly, I think you will not only stick out like sore thumbs, but you will find Italy is draftier and chillier than you expect by just looking at a temperature reading. Also, Italian weather tends to turn exactly on the equinoxes. Yes, it is still summer right now. It is Sept 19. Three day from now, it will be fall. And there will be a nip in the air.

When you are walking around touristing in the sun, you will be warm and will not want to be wearing hot clothes. But the minute you sit down in a shady cafe, and especially when the sun goes down or your get onto a boat, you will feel quite cool.

Have you got any khaki, grey or olive clothes? They are very fashionable. Lightweight sweaters and wraps are useful.

Italian women will not be wearing shorts of any description in the middle of warm, and they tend not to dress in bright colors anyway (and white disappears at end of summer). If you don't like lightweight skirts, even comfortable lightweight yoga pants are better fashionwise than shorts.
Old Sep 18th, 2012, 12:51 PM

Funny -- I meant to type:

"Italian women will not be wearing shorts of any description in the middle of ROME."

No shorts in Rome in the autumn.

Italians are quite used to seeing tourists in shorts from all over the world. They don't wear them, like you don't wear a sari. That's all. They will know you are a tourist anyway, so if you can shrug it off, wear what you like. If you have are going mainly to see the famous sights in Rome and the Amalfi, you will be surrounded by tourists most of the time anyway, not Italians.
Old Sep 18th, 2012, 02:12 PM

We just came back from Rome and the temps were in the low 80s...hot in the sun in the afternoon, comfortable in the shade. I wore casual dresses everywhere and it worked for me. Be aware that you will not want to wear very short dresses or or halter/spaghetti string type tpos or dresses for the Vatican and some other churches. Bring a wrap for your shoulders...this was being enforced at St Peters.

Don't worry about sticking out...they will still know you are a tourist, and you are, so who cares?
Old Sep 18th, 2012, 03:15 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I would never travel with white shorts and tank tops. Even if it's hot I'd wear knee-length 'shorts' or linen capri pants in tan, olive, brown, or black with nice sandals. Solid color tshirts or sleeveless cotton blouse on top.
Old Sep 18th, 2012, 04:47 PM

Sueblue,

My last trip included the Amalfi Coast, Rome,Tuscany and Umbria at exactly the same time of year.

The Amalfi was hot and humid, enough that a big storm in the evening of the day I left for Rome (thankfully) caused some major flooding in Naples. Just missed it by hours.

I wore light weight pants, linen capris, and knee-length skirts with nice tees and linen sleeveless tops.

Rome was perfect weather. Clear blue skies, perfect temps, slightly cooler nights with a couple of overnight thunderstorms.

By the time I got to Montalcino there was an strong icy wind that lasted for 2 days. I was freezing with the cotton sweater I brought, even with the addition of the raincoat - I had to buy a lightweight wool sweater which was all I could find to buy!

A couple days later and it warmed up when the wind stopped.

Hope this helps.

I would never wear shorts, personally.

Buon viaggio!
Old Sep 18th, 2012, 05:06 PM

Sueblue -
Thanks for starting the clothing thread. I'll be in Naples and the Cilento and Amalfi coasts from 9/24 - 10/3. I'm packing my suitcase and checking weather predictions.

If it helps I think I'm bringing a sleeveless knit dress, a light pencil skirt and a maxi skirt, tanks and t-shirts. All are various shades of black, charcoal, dark red - fall colors, as those are the colors I usually wear. I'm bringing just 1 pair of skinny jeans, possibly a pair of lightweight black pants and debating if I should bring a skort for hiking as we'll do a fair amount. All in 1 carryon!
Old Sep 19th, 2012, 03:26 AM

Here's the Amalfi forecast from the site that I've found best during the decade we've lived in Campania....

http://meteo.corriere.it/meteo/amalfi

... particularly for its look "through" the day, but also for the "Percepita" column - which attempts to show how hot it will actually seem... given the humidity, breeze etc.

So their forecast Monday 24th maximum of 29 C would feel like 30... 86 in Fahrenheit?

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/image/146145344

To get Naples, Pompei, Sorrento, Ischia, Capri etc, change the middle box to Napoli (NA) - as those are all in the province of Naples, not Salerno!

But for most of the foreign visitors here on Ischia, unless dressed for the beach, it's still very much shorts weather - and looks to be set that way for a while longer....

That said, one of the joys of August being over is that it's again so much cooler immediately one's out of the sun - rather than being stiflingly hot everywhere.... thank heavens!

Peter
Old Sep 19th, 2012, 07:29 AM

I am so glad you started this thread. We're leaving 10/2 for Amalfi and my brain is in overdrive trying to figure out comfortable appropriate clothing. I'm getting some ideas from the above, and may go shopping this weekend to pick up a few things to supplement what I have.
Old Sep 19th, 2012, 07:40 AM

One thing about white clothing when traveling is it shows dirt so easily. Another reason to stick to darker colors &/or pattern fabrics. I'm not against wearing shorts, just would pick ones that are more like "walking shorts" rather than ones that look like for the beach or gym.
Old Sep 19th, 2012, 07:52 AM

Actually, the popular shorts in Italy are either like tennis shorts, or high-waisted jumper-like shorts (like playsuits without the tops). What is definitely only worn on the serious hiking trails by Italian women is squarish-to-the-knee walking shorts.

There is a lot of stair-climbing in the Amalfi, so I suggest really flexible, not stiff, walking wear. That's why I suggested yoga pants above. Or very lightweight cargo pants -- think parachute material -- with the kind of cuffs you can tie-up.
Old Sep 19th, 2012, 07:56 AM

Harem pants are still popular too, and they come in styles in the US that are not ridiculously baggy or low-seated, but just flowing.
Old Sep 19th, 2012, 08:28 AM

I agree with the lightweight cargo pants in parachute material. Exremely versatile, packs light, washes in the sink & dries quickly.
Old Sep 19th, 2012, 08:42 AM

rosetravels, I throw a cardigan in your suitcase -- for evenings.
Old Sep 20th, 2012, 07:07 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone. I guess am less concerned with sticking out like a sore thumb than with being appropriately dressed for the season . . .

Rosetravels, you are quite an inspiration traveling with just a carry-on! I travel with more than that for the weekend! ☺ Since you will be arriving ahead of me, perhaps you can email me about how everyone is dressed? ☺ Just kidding!

Thanks for the weather site, Peter. I will definitely take some shorts in dark colors – btw everyone, what’s wrong with shorts? My shorts are definitely stylish and have taken me all over NYC with no problem!

Lots of shopping to do this weekend!

Thanks again, all!
Old Sep 21st, 2012, 07:00 AM
ekc

Sue, the problem with shorts is that Italians don't wear them. But if that's what you are comfortable wearing, then go for it. I prefer knit skirts, partially because they take up less room in my suitcase. You really need to consider whittling down your wardrobe. Bringing big suitcases full of clothes is a waste of time, money and energy - especially if you are ever going to take the train. I am leaving Sunday for a 2 week trip that includes Romes, Umbria and the Amalfi Coast and will not have to check any suitcases.

Buon Viaggio!
Old Sep 21st, 2012, 07:20 AM

Italian women don't wear shorts, unless they are 23-year old leggy Milanese fashion models in couture pouf shorts. Italian men do wear them increasingly (cargo shorts in summer), but they just don't catch on with women unless the women are going mountain hiking.

I would pack leggings and broomstick-type skirts. Something you do increasingly see in Italy is what I call the "Zara-look" -- translucent or sheer skirts with shorts underneath. It's an easy look to fake on the cheap.
Old Sep 21st, 2012, 07:25 AM

http://www.socialbliss.com/celeste/b...ok-nu-GE3DCOJX
Old Sep 21st, 2012, 08:29 AM

<pack leggings and broomstick-type skirts>

Yikes!! You don't have to change your style to take a trip to Italy. That is sure nothing I'd ever wear!!!

Just take the nicest, favorite pieces of the wardrobe you already own, that seems the most appropriate to the season, in fabrics that pack well.
Old Sep 21st, 2012, 01:36 PM

Suze,

If you are going to quote me, please don't quote me out of context. I wrote:

>>I would pack leggings and broomstick-type skirts.<<

I would. You wouldn't. I have no idea what the style of the OP is, but neither do you. You recommended she wear lightweight cargo pants. Maybe she thought Yikes! at that.

Leggings and broomstick skirts are among the nicest, favorite pieces of wardrobe I wear in Italy. Many other women in Italy are wearing skirts or leggings (or both), so I never feel out of place. Moreover, they are lightweight and travel extremely well, and are easily washed and dry in a flash.

Wear your walking shorts if that's your style. But I don't own any and wouldn't bring them to Italy or recommend to anybody concerned about sticking out like a sore thumb.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -