Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Duomo & Underground tour in Orvieto: close to each other?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 5th, 2007, 07:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The addresses for the Duomo and the Underground Tours are listed, respectively, as Piazza del Duomo and Piazza Duomo (no "del&quot 24. If anyone has been to both these places, are they very close to each other? We are on a tight schedule and wondered how much time we should allow to get from the Duomo to the Underground tours.

Also, how long does it generally take to see the duomo? I read that even though the church opens early, that the restored Cappella San Brizio doesn't open until 10 am.
Old May 5th, 2007, 07:11 PM

I haven't done the underground tour, but I spent a good 45 minutes in the duomo both times I was there last year - it's beautiful.

I wouldn't be concerned about the lack of "del," which just means "of," in the addresses - they are both right there in the main piazza as far as I know. It's a big piazza, though.

Enjoy - it's a lovely town!
Old May 5th, 2007, 07:14 PM

The underground tour can be booked at the tourist office which is in the square right across from the Duomo. You have to buy your tickets there and they have scheduled times for English tours. I would get your underground tour time booked, then tour the Duomo, then come back and take the underground tour or vice versa depending on the schedules.

The underground tour begins right around the corner from the square. It's about one hour to one and a half hours. You can see the Duomo in about 1 hour. You have to pay to get into one section of it.
Old May 5th, 2007, 08:29 PM
Original Poster

Awesome! That's all I needed to know.
Old May 7th, 2007, 07:01 PM

A question about touring the duomo...can you climb to the top to see the fresco of judgement day? Do they let you stay as long as you want to view the fresco? Thanks.
Old May 8th, 2007, 05:56 AM

The judgment day fresco that I know of in the duomo is in a side chapel and quite close to the ground comparitively speaking--no climbing. There's an entrance fee for this chapel, though not for the rest of the duomo.

At the tourist info office, you can purhase a tourist ticket that includes entrance to this chapel, the underground tour, a few other museums, the funicular, as well as a bell tower for a great view of the countryside. It seemed as if it paid for itself with just the chapel entrance and the underground tour.