Old Jun 1st, 2014, 02:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As sure as eggs is eggs

This topic came up recently and I just came across this
http://www.forbes.com/sites/nadiaaru...nd-vice-versa/
Old Jun 1st, 2014, 10:14 AM

Sort of like pork - which in europe is often eaten not well done. While in the US it's essentially a crime to serve pork that is not thoroughly cooked - due to the risk of trichinosis.
Old Jun 1st, 2014, 10:45 AM

The trichinosis risk is an old canard... from Wikipedia:

"Between 2002 and 2007, 11 cases were reported to CDC each year on average in the United States; these were mostly the result of eating undercooked game, bear meat, or home-reared pigs."

Meaning your chances of getting sick are extremely low.
Old Jun 1st, 2014, 10:58 AM

Trichinosis is very rare in western Europe, although there are cases in Eastern Europe. In Western Europe, horse meat has caused occasional cases, and there were a few cases in France traced to wild boar.

Many pork products in Europe, such as cured hams (prosciutto, etc.), dried sausages, and salamis are not cooked at all.
Old Jun 1st, 2014, 11:01 AM

Getting back to eggs, this washing/not washing divergence is a bit ridiculous. Most of these rules, both in the EU and in the US, are suggested by big ag interests, and have the main scope of banning the competition.
Old Jun 1st, 2014, 11:17 AM

Another difference we noticed about eggs--In the US, they are kept in the refrigerator but in the UK we noticed eggs sitting outside on the counters in the restaurants.
Old Jun 1st, 2014, 11:53 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I had an aunt who raised chickens for their eggs. The collected eggs sat out for days after being laid. I had do idea how risky that practice was. Same thing with freshly milked milk being poured out of the bucket through a piece of cheesecloth.

Guess we were really lucky.
Old Jun 1st, 2014, 12:10 PM

No one I know in France refrigerates eggs. We don't refrigerate them either in France or here at home in the USA.
Old Jun 1st, 2014, 12:13 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Another difference we noticed about eggs--In the US, they are kept in the refrigerator but in the UK we noticed eggs sitting outside on the counters in the restaurants.>>

en - if you read the article to the end, you will see that refrigeration inhibits the growth of the salmonella bacterium, which matters in the US but not in the EU, where 90% of hens are vaccinated against it. this has led to a very big fall in the amount of cases of salmonella infection. Vaccination is not compulsory in the US, which is why refrigeration is necessary.
Old Jun 1st, 2014, 12:15 PM

We keep our eggs in the fridge here in Switzerland, but not for health reasons. Counter space in our kitchen is at a premium and were they left out on the counter, eventually they'd get knocked off by accident. So the fridge is a safer place -- for them.

FWIW, even though the European style is not to fridge eggs, all the bigger (not U.S. size, but not under the counter models either) fridges we see for sale have egg trays anyway.
Old Jun 1st, 2014, 12:20 PM

Sailors, taking ocean voyages, buy eggs and keep them for several weeks, just turning them every day or so to keep the yolks centred. They last very well. The hardest part (in North America) is finding eggs that have not been refrigerated to start with. You can't keep them for any time at all without refrigeration.
Old Jun 1st, 2014, 12:27 PM

The hardest part (in North America) is finding eggs that have not been refrigerated to start with. You can't keep them for any time at all without refrigeration.>>

that's probably because they weren't fresh to begin with. Having kept our own hens for years, if I ever have to use bought ones I notice how much less fresh they are than the ones I am used to. to test for freshness, drop the egg into a basin of cold water. the closer to the top the "blunt end" floats, the older it is. if it rests on its side on the bottom, then it's fresh.
Old Jun 1st, 2014, 12:30 PM

In Italy, eggs are often, but not always, sold unrefrigerated, but everyone I know keeps their eggs in the refrigerator, maybe for convenience.

Maybe I misunderstand Jane, but I don't know why having been refrigerated initially means that they will spoil without refrigeration after that. What is the scientific explanation of that?
Old Jun 1st, 2014, 12:49 PM

<< I don't know why having been refrigerated initially means that they will spoil without refrigeration after that. What is the scientific explanation of that?>>

If refrigeration halts the salmonella growth, then removal from refrigeration removes the block on salmonella growth and the little buggers will populate. Then refrigerating again doesn't KILL the bacteria it just keeps the population level stable.
Old Jun 1st, 2014, 12:53 PM

bvlenci You interpreted me correctly. I'm not sure what the scientific reason is either. I just know that we had to find unrefrigerated eggs to start with. It probably has something to do with freshness. We also found only unrefrigerated eggs in supermarkets in Australia and New Zealand.
Old Jun 1st, 2014, 01:13 PM

Just read on line, for what it is worth, that North American eggs are power washed to remove debris and this process removes the egg's natural protective coating, allowing it to be more porous. I do know that many sailors coat eggs with vaseline if they want to store them for a long time. We never did this as we didn't take any extended ocean voyages.
Old Jun 1st, 2014, 01:18 PM

Never kept my eggs in the fridge, now I know why!
Old Jun 1st, 2014, 01:30 PM

Thank you, Janet. I knew someone would eventually get it. This has actually been explained on this forum before.
Old Jun 1st, 2014, 04:27 PM

Annhig,

Thanks for the explanation for the different treatment.
Old Jun 2nd, 2014, 03:05 AM

that's ok, en.

We never refrigerate our eggs but then when know where they came from!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -