Voltage converter

Search

Voltage converter

Search this Thread

Old May 15th, 2007, 12:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Voltage converter

We're traveling to Italy and France next month. What's the best adaptor to buy for cell phones, shavers, nanos, etc.? Do we need special plugs? Thanks.
Old May 15th, 2007, 12:45 PM

In most department or electronics stores, you can buy a combination plug adapter and voltage converter. That will provide you with the right voltage and will give you the correct plug all in one package. If you have any appliance that draws heavy current, such as a hair dryer, you need to make sure your converter can handle the total power needed. Specialty stores like Brookstone will also handle them.
Old May 15th, 2007, 12:46 PM

Most of the items you mention here do not require voltage converters, and I'd actually urge you to NOT bring anything that does. Converters are heavy and don't always work well. Many shavers, most cell phone chargers, and all Apple adapters are dual voltage. You should look at the actual item to make sure before you try to plug it in an ruin your piece of electronics, though.

You will need adapter plugs; any adapters will do---just buy one in the drug store or at Wal-Mart, and Apple makes its own set that plug directly into its transformers, but they are kind of expensive.
Old May 15th, 2007, 02:19 PM

This <http://www.walkabouttravelgear.com/elect.htm#adapt> is a pretty good resource if you cannot get adapter plugs locally.
Old May 15th, 2007, 02:26 PM

It isn't just the voltage to consider...

US power is 60 Hz and European power is 50 Hz. Be sure to read the information on the appliance and make certain that it will run on either before you plug it in!
Old May 15th, 2007, 02:27 PM

Look at your plug - if it says 120/240 it is duel voltage and you just need a plug adapter (cheap and found anywhere travel stuff is sold). Most phones, cameras and iPods (for sure) are duel voltage.
Old May 15th, 2007, 03:21 PM

You jackanapes! Varlet! You have besmirched my name, and I <u>will</u> have satisfaction! What is your choice of weapon?

We shall use electricity.

Very well. Until the morrow.

By the way, I searched for &quot;voltage&quot; and found no fewer than 544 threads (not posts, <i>threads</i back to 2000 C.E.