Reload this Page >

Dumbest (funny) thing you've done in Europe

Nov 10th, 2007, 06:06 AM
Original Poster

What's the dumbest thing you've done in public on a trip? -

Here's mine:

First time in Paris - after the a few days using the Metro to get around, a bit smugly congratulating ourselves on our mad subway skilz - we needed to get RER tickets to go a little off our beaten path.

Can't recall the actual station, but we knew we could transfer to the RER, however we had to find a place to buy tickets. RER Billet signs kept directing us to the SORTIE, but no ticket booth.

Suddenly I saw an automated vending machine with "Easy On" plastered on it - figured it must be the RER ticket machine ... (Easy on and off the train, right?)

Yeah .. I actually tried to buy a train ticket from the condom vending machine. So much for mastering the public transportation system ...
Nov 10th, 2007, 08:12 AM

On my first day in Italy, I ordered a pizza with pepperocini. I don't like peppers, thought I was getting pepperoni. I picked each of the peppers off and ate the rest of the pizza. I'm sure the waitstaff was laughing at me! Since then, I travel with a book that translates the menu!
Nov 10th, 2007, 09:15 AM

It was Paris, June 1977. My girl friend and I were very young and naive. The hostel we intended to stay in was full, and a nice gentleman told us of a hotel he knew with good rates. We were very tired and decided to take his advice. He lead us through some twisting back streets far from shops and the main street, but it was mid day and there were two of us, so we followed him. At the hotel, I did notice the clerk gave us a very odd look when we checked in; and we could not figure out why we heard doors opening and closing constantly. The next morning I read the business card which said The Mountain Hotel. 11 rooms with absolute privacy (in french of course). We had stayed at a pay by the hour hotel/brothel. ROFL. I suspect the kind gentleman had some not so kind ulterior motives that were some how thwarted without us knowing. No hiding two kids fresh off the farm and out in the big world. LOL.
Nov 10th, 2007, 09:24 AM

I was so proud of my tiny Italian vocabulary, I ordered the summertime specialty of vino e pesci.

Thats wine with fish.

I meant to ask for vino e pesche.

Wine with peaches!
Nov 10th, 2007, 08:24 PM

We took the train from Copenhagen to Malmo, Sweden for a pleasant afternoon. I needed to use the restroom at the train station before we set out walking. I nodded at the lady in the booth (an attendant, I soon found out!) and gave the door a good push. It didn't open. I said to the lady behind the booth, "Something is wrong with the door!" She rolled her eyes and stated, "Tirtee kronor!"

It was then it became clear to me that you are supposed to PAY for the washrooms in Europe! I've since grown to like the idea, as they are so clean! But what a dumbkopf I was and she got a good snicker at me.
Nov 11th, 2007, 09:03 AM

I was so proud of my skills at deciphering Italian menus that I ordered a dish thinking that I was getting lobster sauce. When the meal arrived, it was topped by little crayfish!
Nov 11th, 2007, 09:30 AM

I thought the reservation or receipt portion was the actual train ticket somewhere along the line in Italy. I had to scramble around in my bag when the conductor was making head-shaking and negative sounding comments about the 'tikcet' I had produced!