Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   dumb shoe question #666 (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/dumb-shoe-question-666-a-487163/)

Giselle Nov 21st, 2004 05:29 PM

dumb shoe question #666

I've worn flats on my last 4 European city trips. (I swear I'm going to the countryside next time.)

On each trip I've worn different flat shoes with comfort. However, I really don't like being without a little bit of heel in a city.

I thought I was fine with this certain pair I wear to work and around town. However, after taking the dogs for a long walk one day and then today walking the mall shopping with these boots on I thought to myself, "Who am I kidding?".

Have any of you found a small heeled boot or shoe that provides walking comfort? Website? Store?

I carry on and one pair has always been perfect as I haven't done nice restaraunts or theatre and won't on this trip. It's just walking around the city with a small bit of heel I long for. Further, my boot cut pants are really too long for flats.

I have a feeling it may be flats again. My only hope is YOU.

So there is dumb clothing question #666. I promise I'll go away with the clothing after this.

emtravel Nov 21st, 2004 05:42 PM

I swear by Mephisto shoes. They are sold in some stores in USA. I also was buying them online on http://www.mephistogreatlakes.com/
the guy was very helpful, I "tried" two pairs of shoes and then sent one back! I have my shoes for about 5 years and wear them everywhere in Europe, Asia and here is course. Great on Cobblestone streets. Great ankle support. They are not very pretty through. However, I just checked them out and looks there some other styles which have heels and a bit more stylish looking. These are great walking shoes. Not cheap but you can invest in one pair and wear it everywhere.
sophia

dln Nov 21st, 2004 05:46 PM

Giselle, your question isn't the least bit dumb. I thought A LOT about what shoes I would bring to Europe. You wouldn't believe the bills from DSW for all the shoes I "had" to buy...presumably for the trip! My husband said I nearly bought an airline ticket's worth of shoes but I think he was slightly exaggerating.

Anyway, I brought 2" heels with me, narrow, and 1 1/2" chunky heels with me and 2 pairs of flats. I had very good luck with the Liz Claiborne brand "Lizflex" and Naturalizer (who used to be dowdy but now is very stylish), and Aerosoles, even though they concentrate on flats. However, what works for my foot might not necessarily work for yours. A friend of mine with narrow feet bought a pair of Donald Pliner shoes with a very big heel but the leather is as soft as butter and she can wear them for hours.

Spend a good afternoon and go shoe shopping. And then spend several good afternoons or evenings walking around the block with your new shoes. That will give you an excellent idea of whether or not your purchases will make the cut and go to Europe with you. (And be grateful that it's nearly wintertime--I had to walk very late at night with my high heels because it looked very silly in combination with shorts. Oh what we do for European research.)

Marilyn Nov 21st, 2004 05:47 PM

There are lots of comfortable shoes with a little height. You just have to find the best for your feet, so whatever brand someone might recommend to you would be irrelevant. It doesn't have to be an actual heel, it could just be a wedge, if you know what I mean. But I'd break down and take a 3rd pair, myself. That way if you get a new pair and don't have time to really be sure they're comfortable, you won't be stuck.

Scarlett Nov 21st, 2004 06:01 PM

Hello darlin Giselle!
Look at these shoes, I hope this page link works :)

http://www.shoemall.com/search_resul...mp;cat_id=3317

These are my new favorite shoes for everyday walking (Munroes). I got a pair in a sandal at the beginning of the summer, wore them every day , well almost..
I got a pair last Dec for cold weather, they still look brand new.
They might be on the expensive side, but they last and they are soft as buttah and feel good!
AND they have a little bit of a heel to them, I have tried them on with boot cut pants, they look good!
I know what you mean, I want my next trip to be to the countryside in the summer, only sandals!

Happy Shoe Shopping ((F)) * <i>there should be a Shoe icon here by now!
</i>

luxing Nov 21st, 2004 06:02 PM

I'm a Dansko girl, myself. I like the Dansko Golden Gate collection. It's not a heel, per se, but because the bottom has a sort of platform to it all along it, it gives 1-2&quot; lift in height. And it's incredibly comfortable for city walking - walked all day around NYC recently in a pair.

Dansko also makes boots, and a line of higher heeled shoes, neither of which I've tried, but those may be an option.

uhoh_busted Nov 21st, 2004 06:08 PM

I've found that if high heels are set back on the heel (rather than like, centered on the heel) you are better balanced and more comfortable. Now that it is colder, I'm wearing my high heeled boots with trousers and they are quite comfy. Not so sure I would wear them to hike around European cobblestone streets, but for heading out to dinner in dress slacks they wouldn't be bad. I usually bring a pair of high heeled sandals in Spring/summer that take up little room in my bag, so that I can feel dressed up in the evenings. Otherwise it's comfy walking shoes for traipsing around sight seeing and shopping.

cmt Nov 21st, 2004 06:12 PM

I can't wear totally flat shoes any more, ever since I had an Achilles heel problem a few years ago. So I always look for sturdy walking shoes with a very slightly elevated heel. I find them in Naturalizer tie shoes, Merrell &quot;primo moc&quot; shoes, sometimes Rockport athletic walking shoes. They're not at all dressy, but because they are not totally flat, pants legs aren't too long when I wear them. The Merrell primo mocs and the Naturalizer tie shoes, while not something you'd pick for their style, do not look that bad under pants. Also ever since that Achilles problem, I don't take any chances on walking around in any shoes that aren't super comfortable, with totally trouble free fit. So I wouldn't walk more than a block or two with dressy shoes. However, I have some shoes with a heel that are very comfortable for what they are, and though I wouldn't spend a day walking in them, I can happily walk several few blocks in them and could probably wear them for mile or two without discomfort, though I never do. They are Ecco, have about a 2-inch heel. I got them in a clearance sale, and would never have bought them at their regular full price, so I don't recommend looking for them in particular.

cigalechanta Nov 21st, 2004 06:20 PM

there is no one brand that works for everyone. We each have different feet as to width,or how narrow our heel is.
Try on many shoes. remember, if they hurt in the shop, they'll always hurt, no matter what the salesperson tells you. I have problem feet so bought two pairs of stretchers to help the fit of my shoes.

Budman Nov 21st, 2004 06:23 PM

HA HA HA. LOL. I can just picture Al Bundy, Married With Children, taking care of all your shoe needs. ((a))

Those heels look like they are a pain. How do you all do it? ((a)) ((b))

cigalechanta Nov 21st, 2004 06:26 PM

emtravel. I turned my husband on to Mephistos and loved the. One pair was a top=sider style that developed a squeek after several months and he wouldn't wear them anymore so I phoned Mephisto. They said if it was a manufacturer's problm, they'd fix it without cost to us. But-if it was our problem the cost was ours. They sent a prepaid bag for us to send back with those sqeeky shoes. Several weeks later,He received a new pair

ninasdream Nov 21st, 2004 06:27 PM

I have a little pair of slingback flats that have been a dressy favorite for the past few years at home and away. They are 1/2&quot; heel with a wide rounded toe. If you want a little heel, why not go with a drssy 1 1/2- 2&quot; Easy Spirit or Aerosole? I personally would not wear heels for exploring, and since I like to take a nice stroll after dinner, heels are out for me. I pack my Rockports and flats and wear a pair of slip-on Aerosoles with the thick crepe bottoms. I wouldn't skimp on travel shoes.

artlover Nov 21st, 2004 07:01 PM

I wore Eccos on my last trip that have a small heel (sortof a boot style) and they were dressy enough when I put on a long black skirt yet incredibly comfortable. If you live near Nordstrom and get the shoes there, they will take them back no matter how long you keep them if they aren't comfortable for you. I too did the dogwalking test first and highly recommend it.

Scarlett Nov 21st, 2004 07:05 PM

LOL, &quot;the dogwalking test&quot;...I know it well :D

I also second the recommendation for the Merrils..I have a pair of black clogs that never look like they have been worn, no matter what I do to them. They are also very comfortable.

ninasdream Nov 21st, 2004 07:11 PM

artlover- thanks for the Ecco tip. I actually am heading over to Nordstrom's later this week to replace my work heels.

Giselle Nov 21st, 2004 07:16 PM

Artlover, I'm heading for Nordstrom and then the dog walking test, which Scarlett knows well.

Nordstrom is near and dear to my heart as it started here in Washington State, as a shoe store originally. Even so, I didn't know they had such a generous return policy.

Thanks so much to everybody for their ideas. I've always got these flat black Naturalizers w/ Dr. Scholl's gels that have walked all over 3 European cities IF the small heel dream just can't come true for day touring.

Budman, I forgot Al Bundy suffering at the shoe store with the ladies demands. I can see him roll his eyes. That really makes me laugh!

summersquash Nov 21st, 2004 07:31 PM

I carry a pair of good soft leather boots with a 2&quot; heel. I have worn them for several years. They still look like new. Try to find a pair of soft leather shoes or boots with a heel. They need good support. If not you will think they are comfortable until your foot gets tired and then you will have problems the next day. Don't get them too small of too narrow. Wear them around in the store for awhile. Try on different size heels with differnt shapes. You may have to pay a good bit for them but it is worth it. I also have 2 pair of aerosole flat loafer type shoes in brown or black. They are better than any sneaker I have ever worn. I don't think it matters what brand, just whatever works for you. Take them home and wear them on your carpet for the evening. If they are the least bit uncomfortable return them. I also have found that dexters are good but I usually get them in flats.

Marilyn Nov 21st, 2004 09:27 PM

Giselle, Nordie's has a great shoe dept, but you might also want to check out some of the &quot;walk-oriented&quot; shoe stores that have been opening recently. We've got several here in the SF area, and I'll bet Seattle does, too. They carry a lot of European brands, comfortable, stylish in their own way (not in the pointy-toe, 4&quot; stiletto way), and made for all day walking. Good luck!
PS Merrells -- DH and I both LIVE in them. Scarlett, I think I have those same black clogs but I'm about ready for a new pair.

kasperdoggie Nov 22nd, 2004 04:42 AM

Shoe questions are never dumb questions, IMHO :)

I have a similar quest. I will warn you that my shoe habits are not normal, so my suggestions should be taken in this light - I don't wear flats at all and running shoes in the gym only. I'm 5'2&quot; and in denial :). So I live in 3-4 inch heels. Used to be regular spike heels, now I am a bit older, platforms and wedges are preferred mode of torture. And I have problematic feet too (not because of constant heel wearing, at least not entirely :) ) So, as I said, flats and sneakers are out for me. Actually, I don't find those types of shoes all that comfortable for long stretches of time for my feet anyway.

I have tried Ecco's, Mephisto's, Clarks, Naturilizer, Aerosoles, have searched for comfort shoes with a bit of a heel that look good on me from Payless shoes to Neiman Marcus, with very intermittent success. The one brand I have finally setlled on, is Born. They are super comfortable and supportive, and some of their styles actually look good, in a funky kind of way ;) On the upcoming trip to Paris I am bringing a clog-type of shoe, very similar to Dansko (but cheaper and a bit more modern looking), with about 2 1/4&quot; heel. These are heaven. I have worn Born sandals for 3 weeks in Italy this past spring and my feet were happy. I buy these wherever I can snag them: DSW, Marshalls, Zappos and now I know which styles fit me the best, from eBay. They usally run $40-80, which is a bargain for me, because in the quest for comfy attractive shoes I was moving into Carry Bradshaw (Sex and The City) category of shoe spending.

Here is a link to Zappos. The shoes actually look better on than in the photos.

http://www.zappos.com/n/es/d/722001152.html

Good luck with shoe hunting!

melissa19 Nov 22nd, 2004 05:14 AM

i like born as well, though i'm sold on their sandals and am still looking for the perfect loafer-type style. the sandals are supportive, and have a nice cushy inside sole.

i love merrills, too (though they're not so attractive), and especially my santana boots which have a small heel and are waterproof. i like wearing boots when i travel for the extra ankle support.

i've also found that the extra arch supports you can get at the drugstore are very helpful. i have really high arches, but i think any extra support is good.