Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Dumb question about what happens to the sewage in Venice

Jun 7th, 2000, 09:05 PM
johnhedge

I just got back from Venice and the thought struck me that it would be impossible to have water and sewage service there.

My assumption would be that the sewage goes into the canal and the tides take it out to sea. However with so many people there it would cause quite a smell which I did not detect.

Also although I did not drink the water I saw people drinking from fountians. How do they process the water to purify it and make it drinkable.

Anybody know for sure?

John

Jun 8th, 2000, 06:10 AM
elaine

I believe I read that they have sewage treatment centers that process the muck before it is released into the ocean.
Or maybe it was just wishful thinking n my part.

Jun 8th, 2000, 07:44 AM
Paulo

It's not wishful thinking, Elaine. ALL of the industrial and civil sewage in Venice and the lagoon is treated in the plants located at Fusina and Campalto on the continent (then released into the lagoon) and at Lido and Cavallino (then released into the open sea).

Paulo

Jun 8th, 2000, 07:54 AM
Paulo

Regarding drinking water, John, in ancient times the Romans mastered the acqueduct building technique and didn't have much difficulties in getting water from very distant sources.

Potable water in Venice comes from two sources: deep wells and from the surface (rivers), both in the continent. The latter are treated the same way as the water you have at home

Paulo

Jun 8th, 2000, 12:18 PM
julie

We were in Venice last year in June, and the canals stunk terribly. We all commented that this is where the sewage goes. someone said that if you could bottle that watter and sell it as liquid fertilizer, you could make a fortune. I don't know how they handle water and sewage treatment but would bet, judging from our experience that we know where most of it goes.!

Jun 8th, 2000, 02:05 PM
Paulo

Occasionaly, canals in Venice do stink ... but this has nothing to do with sewage, Julie. It's a question of oxygen. As you may know, the whole lagoon is very shallow. Thus, if the water is not renewed, oxygen will thin down in a short time and some marine plants (macroalgae) won't be able to survive. Tidal changes occur every six hours or so. Fresh water is drawn into the lagoon, through the three gates to open sea and, assisted by rivers on the other side, old water is flushed out. Under certain wind and pressure conditions, the water renewal process is somewhat halted ... and the canals will stink. On the reverse side of the coin, also under certain wind and pressure conditions, too much water will flow in ... and one has the tidal flooding or "acqua alta".

Paulo