Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Due to a strange twist of fate I just found out that I am (almost) an Italian Citizen! (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/due-to-a-strange-twist-of-fate-i-just-found-out-that-i-am-almost-an-italian-citizen-336776/)

AP6380 Jul 14th, 2003 10:35 AM

Due to a strange twist of fate I just found out that I am (almost) an Italian Citizen!

I helped my father out with some immigration things today and was told that I am eligible to become an Italian Citizen, so I would be dual, because I am a US Citizen. Besides the obvious connection to my heritage, being able to get an Italian passport and being able to live & work in Italy, what else does this mean for me?

Sjoerd Jul 14th, 2003 10:36 AM

Being able to live and work in all EEA countries. (EU + Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein)

ira Jul 14th, 2003 10:39 AM

Isn't being able to live and work in Italy enough?

dln Jul 14th, 2003 10:48 AM

When my husband had just his British passport he used to zip through the "Citizens" only line in Heathrow. We, his wife and children, would be stuck behind (as Americans) in the slower "Other" line. Now he has a US passport. I tease him and say he really ought to use the British passport as a anecdote to waiting in a queue in Heathrow, but he won't!

Intrepid Jul 14th, 2003 10:58 AM

Free pasta for life???

Betsy Jul 14th, 2003 11:55 AM

AP, do you think your father would adopt me?

Scarlett Jul 14th, 2003 11:57 AM

Congratulations!!
Now you have to start using your hands more when you speak and drive a Vespa:)

sheila Jul 14th, 2003 12:18 PM

Even if you don't care to use it yourself, your kids might. With accession to the EU it opens thepossibilities of living and working in 25 countries to you and them.

MizzEve Jul 14th, 2003 12:24 PM

Don't forget the education and medical benefits that you receive as a member of an EU country.

AP6380 Jul 14th, 2003 12:27 PM

Miss Eve-

Tell me more!

GAC Jul 14th, 2003 12:44 PM

Do you really want to subject yourself to Italian taxes?

Guest_User Jul 14th, 2003 01:45 PM

Don't do a happy dance just yet [-X
Some European countries have a compulsory military duty law, meaning that all males between a certain age must serve some time in the respective country's military. I think Greece is one example but I don't know about Italy. If you do qualify for dual citizenship, make sure you are aware of Italian obligatories so you don't find yourself unexpectedly drafted. Sorry to disappoint :'(

AP6380 Jul 14th, 2003 01:52 PM

I'm female, so I'm still happy!!!

cmt Jul 14th, 2003 01:52 PM

GAC: I always wonder about that, too. I am eligible to apply for Italian citizenship, but I've never really wanted to. (My grandparents, long dead, would probably think I was crazy if I did.)

ellenem Jul 14th, 2003 02:01 PM

Italy does have the mandatory service for men of a certain age. They can serve in the miliatray as well as the various police force and fire departments..

A friend with dual citizenship traveled with both passports, using the Italian on the way into Italy/EEA, and her US on the way home.

ellenem Jul 14th, 2003 02:02 PM

I hate my own typos! military

Huitres8 Jul 14th, 2003 02:07 PM

Lucky you -- if only the rest of us could be so fortunate! Capitalize on all the connections and benefits you can get out of being an EU citizen now. One thing is certain: the lines for the EU citizens always seem to move much faster than the US citizen passport lines at the airports!

dln Jul 14th, 2003 02:11 PM

That's why I tell DH to use the British passport! It's a line buster.

AP6380 Jul 14th, 2003 02:13 PM

GAC- can you tell us more about what you know about the taxes? I would be responsible to pay taxes to Italy?

GAC Jul 14th, 2003 02:19 PM

I'm not an accountant, but if you are an Italian Citizen, your U.S. income could become subject to taxation in Italy. You might have to report the income and then rely upon the US/Italy Tax Treaty against double taxation.