Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Ducati tour Bologna- anything else to do in the immediate area?

Ducati tour Bologna- anything else to do in the immediate area?

Apr 25th, 2010, 11:59 PM
Original Poster

Ducati tour Bologna- anything else to do in the immediate area?

Husband has booked a tour of the Ducati museum and factory, Bologna... for himself-

I will travel with him to the venue by train or train and bus, but not sure if there is anything else for me to do there except have a cup of coffee in the coffee shop .

( I have no interest in motorbikes)

Can anyone tell me what the immediate surrounding area is like- is it a suitable/interesting place to wander??

We'll be daytripping by train from Florence and also plan on spending some time in the city of Bologna.

Thanks
Apr 26th, 2010, 04:52 AM

I think you're going to be pretty stuck for finding sightseeing attractions. It's no doubt a safe neighborhood, and if you enjoy snapping photos and wandering, and seeing a side of untouristy Italy, you might as well poke around.

The commune of Borgo Panicale has a website with a "foto album."

http://www.comune.bologna.it/quartie...gale/index.php

If exploring the ordinary side of Italian life in Borgo Panicale doesn't appeal to you, why don't you get a good guide to Bologna and nail down a place where you can meet your husband after he finishes up his motorcycle tour, You can go your separate ways at the Bologna train station. Bologna is a fun place with all kinds of quirky attractions -- like the anatomical theatre or the Morandi museum, or the climb up to the Santurario (taxis and buses go up there too). You can probably find something you'd like to do that doesn't interest your husband.
Apr 26th, 2010, 06:47 AM

Hi lavender. Crespellano (where the Ducati factory is located) is mostly an industrial and farming area and there's not much to see there other than Ducati, I'm afraid. I agree with Zeppole, if it were me, I would spend the morning/afternoon in Bologna instead.
Apr 26th, 2010, 04:43 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the input- have you visited the anatomical theatre? I would be interested in hearing of personal experiences.

I visited the Natural History museum in Beijing a number of years ago and was frankly horrified by the exhibits in the human body section- very disturbing, not what I expected at all.
Apr 26th, 2010, 11:33 PM

Yes, I've been to the anatomical theatre. It's quite an interesting room, and there's nothing there which you should find too creepy. A few hundred metres walk away in Palazzo Poggi, there are some interesting University museums, including a Human Anatomy museum, Obstetrics museum, Maps, Military Architecture etc. The Anatomy & Obstetrics rooms have some wax displays on show, but nothing too disturbing I would think.
Apr 27th, 2010, 01:32 AM

i've also been to the anatomical theatre and consider it one of the highlights of Bologna. Nothing creepy at all. (And I'm squeamish -- I find reliquaries creepy.) For me, one of the loveliest things is the smell of all that wood. It was bombed it bits in WW2 and meticulously reconstructed. It's simply a very beautiful room. Here's a picture:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ar...oanatomico.jpg

The name of the site in Italian is "Archiginnasio-teatroanatomico" so you know you're heading for the right place. The theatre is housed on the antique library of the city, which itself is very atmospheric.

Almost next door to the Teatro Anatomico is the city's small but rich Archeological museum, which is open free to the public and has collections of Etruscan, Egyptian, Roman and Greek works. It was not open the afternoon I tried to see it, but I would guess it is a more interesting place to spend an hour than the coffee shop of the motorcycle museum!

My favorite sight in Bologna is the Church of Santa Maria della Vita, which is also close on the via Clavature. It's a very small church with a stunning work of art, an operatic grouping of terracotta statues depicting the removal of Christ from the cross. It's unique.

The via Clavature is in the area of some of Bologna's best food markets, outdoor and indoor, and is an interesting place to wander, window shopping.

It is almost impossible to get lost in the historic center of Bologna because the town has two skyscraper towers. The "Due Torre" might be a good meet-up place, or better yet, the Roxy bar that is pretty much just kitty-korner to the towers at via Francesco Rizzoli, 9.
Apr 27th, 2010, 04:56 AM
Original Poster

Zeppole and Wooders101- thank you both so much for such informative responses- invaluable advice!
Apr 27th, 2010, 07:38 AM

And depending on how energetic you're feeling, then a trip to the top of the Asinelli tower (the taller of the "Due Torri") will reward you with a fantastic view over the "red" city. 499 (or thereabouts) steps to the top - but think of the Gelato you will have earned after that workout! I hope you enjoy Bologna.
Apr 29th, 2010, 05:51 AM

booking

Search this Thread