Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Dubrovnik To Corfu (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/dubrovnik-to-corfu-673768/)

sshephard Jan 25th, 2007 03:35 PM

Dubrovnik To Corfu

My wife and I will be traveling on to Corfu after a short stay in Dubrovnik. Any suggestions? Right now it looks like a ferry to Ancona or Bari and then on to Corfu.

rosexmke Mar 4th, 2007 06:02 AM

- or look into europebyair.com or whichbudget and see if there is decent flights out of dub. It might also give you more time.

hidden_europe Mar 4th, 2007 07:34 AM

There are no direct flights. The ferry, as you imply, is a viable option. Better via Bari than Ancona, but it will still take two days and be very pricey. But might I suggest that you travel overland? I would rate the short journey from Dubrovnik to Corfu (via Montenegro and Albania) as truly one of the most amazing short trips on offer - anywhere in Europe! No ifs, no buts, this is truly fascinating journey. There are excellent bus connections, though just for convenience, I'd suggest a taxi for the hop from Ulcinj to the Albanian border and for the even shorter hop from the border to Shkoder. Then down to Saranda, from where there is a boat every afternoon to Corfu. This is an area of stunning scenery, very cheap public transport fares, and a chance to see a part of Europe that lies well off the regular Fodors trail. I'd be happy to advise you on details if you felt inclined to pursue this option.
Nicky
editor / hidden europe magazine
www.hiddeneurope.co.uk

acktom Mar 4th, 2007 11:14 AM

Hi. I am looking for similiar information - I thought, I had found a good flight - but now everything goes through Vienna or London or worse. The ferry just seems to eat up too much valuable time. Scott, curious what else you may have found and Nicky would love some more info onyour bus route. Thanks.

sshephard Mar 4th, 2007 11:31 AM

I am intrigued by Nicky's suggestion. I didn't really consider a bus trip given that I have never done that in Europe before. Also, traveling through Montenegro and Albania seemed a little intimidating to me.

Unfortunately, I have already bought airline tickets. Here's the plan (which, when described, seems pretty crazy.) Leave Drubrovnik on June 4 at 16:40 via Thomson Air, arriving in Manchester, England, at 19:00. Leave Manchester June 4 via Thomas Cook Air at 23:15, arriving at Corfu at 4:10 in the morning.

We get to Corfu a little more than 24 hours earlier this way than if we had gone by ferry. Also, according to my calculations, the cost difference for the flights compared to the cost of two ferries is about $150 more. I decided an extra day in Corfu was worth the extra money.

Nicky, I am very interested in the details. I don't mind going off the beaten path though I don't want to lose too much time on Corfu.

My big concern with the flights to and from Manchester is the possibility of getting stuck in Manchester, which seems a little less glamorous than Corfu.

acktom Mar 5th, 2007 02:56 PM

Wow! Austrian Airlines goes via Zagreb and then Vienna for about $450USD and in only 6 hours. I have done some more research on the bus -- try www.balkanology.com -- its about 20 hours and most likely would require two days!

sshephard Mar 5th, 2007 03:51 PM

actom: "Wow" is right. You have found a flight that goes from Zabreb to Vienna and then Vienna to Corfu? I searched Austrian Airlines but couldn't find those connections.

The cost for my wife and me to fly from Dubrovnik to Corfu via Manchester is $568 total (two tickets).

I just looked up the cost of a ferry from Dub. to Bari and then from Bari to Corfu the next night and it is a total of $300 for two people for a airplane type seat. So the flights via Manchester cost about $270 more but I'm only spending 6 hours in an airplane seat compared to about 20 hours on the ferries.

I'd like to hear more about your discoveries. When are you planning on traveling? Also, where do you plan on staying on Corfu. I am looking for someone to share a Villa with us while on Corfu.

acktom Mar 6th, 2007 03:50 PM

Scott, you would also need to connect in Athens after Vienna...sorry for that omission. But your pricing is by far the best. I am not travelling until November -- 2 weeks in Croatia and two weeks in Greece. Based on this Corfu snafu, I may just skip it and fly direct to Athens and try to figure something out from there later in my itinerary.

hidden_europe Mar 7th, 2007 12:19 AM

Forgive me, all. I obviously misinterpreted the OP's question. I assumed the point was to see something interesting of Europe, rather than merely to fly from point to point as fast as possible. As I said, the journey down through Albania and Montenegro is to my mind easily the most interesting way of doing this journey. As 'acktom' says, it's not fast, but most of the best things in life are not achieved in a hurry. I personally would spread the journey over three days, so with two overnight stays en route (in Ulcinj and Orikum), but, as 'acktom' rightly says, it can quite easily be accomplished in two days.

I find the Dubrovnik - Manchester - Corfu air routing a tad bizarre. But each unto his own. Scarcely comfortable, travelling all night like that, and verging upon the environmentally irresponsible.
Nicky
www.hiddeneurope.co.uk

sshephard Mar 7th, 2007 02:38 PM

Well, the point is that I have reservations in Corfu. My wife wanted to visit Budapest, Dubrovnik and Corfu. hidden_europe: I sincerely appreciate your initial suggestion but I don't appreciate your sarcasm.

Given your last sentence, here comes an even bigger question. Is it environmentally responsible for people in the western hemisphere to travel to Europe given the number of amazing and beautiful things that are in our own back yard?