Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Dubrovnik & Kotor-9 days (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/dubrovnik-and-kotor-9-days-708832/)

sessa May 29th, 2007 09:06 AM

Dubrovnik & Kotor-9 days

We (married couple late 20's) are in the midst of planning a trip to Croatia/Montenegro in March 2008. It would be our first trip to Eastern Europe, and we will fly round trip from USA into Dubrovnik. We will probably have about 9 nights total and are thinking 6 nights in DBV and 3 in Montenegro...maybe Kotor.

After reading all of the helful info on this forum, I still have just a few questions:

1) Which would you do first...Dubrovnik or Kotor? I was thinking of going straight from DBV airport to Kotor so that we don't have to split up our stay in Dubrovnik around our side trip to Kotor.

2) Is it easy to take the bus from Dubrovnik to Kotor, or is renting a car better since we will be staying 2-3 nights in Kotor?

3) Has anyone stayed at Palazzo Radomiri near Kotor? Looks great, but they always do on the website, don't they?

4) What day trips/tours are convenient from Dubrovnik? Any "must sees"?

5) Finally, is March weather in Croatia pleasant? We don't have to swim, but we don't want to have to pack heavy clothes either.

I know there is lots more to see in Croatia besides Dubrovnik, but we want to have a relaxing trip for once without too much moving around. I would appreciate any thoughts/suggestions. Thanks!

thit_cho May 29th, 2007 10:05 AM

2) I took the bus from Dubrovnik to Kotor -- it couldn't be easier. But, you may prefer a car if you have a few days in the area.

4) Mostar, in Bosnia, is an interesting day trip from Dubrovnik.

sessa May 29th, 2007 10:22 AM

Can you catch the bus to Kotor from DBV airport? I found info on www.libertasdubrovnik.com but could not find any info on schedules/pick-up points in English. Thanks!

peppermintpatti May 29th, 2007 02:08 PM

Hi Sessa, There are many easy day trips from Dubrovnik. Cavtat which is a town not far from Dub. is a 20 min boat trip away from the port in the old town. Lokrum is another 20 min trip away. There is ruins of a monastery on it, and beautiful baths and plants there. There's swimming off the rocks there, and a nude beach. Also many peacocks, and a little restaurant bar not far from where the boat docks.
The larger dock, which is only a short bus ride away from the old town, has transport to Miljet, which has two salt water lakes, bike rental, little restaurants at the dock, much swimming pretty much anywhere you want to stop, and the remains of a monastery. You can also catch ferries from the big dock that will go to the Elaphite islands. Lopud is one of the Elaphite islands. There is a great sandy beach there about a 20 min walk from where the ferry docks, with a couple beachside restaurants.
Many here have visited Korcula from Dubrovnik. I have not, but have heard that it is very beautiful.
You can click on my name for my trip report from Croatia for some particulars.
Have a great time on your trip! pp

sessa May 29th, 2007 03:02 PM

Thanks for the day trips ideas, peppermintpatti. All of those sound fun. I wonder if the beachside restaurants you mention would be open in March?

nbujic May 29th, 2007 03:21 PM

March can be cool, with some rain and wind.

But, as alway with weather, who knows !