Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Planning a first time ever trip to Italy (southern) end November.- HELP

Old Oct 2nd, 2011, 06:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are thinking of a 5th anniversary trip to southern Italy during Nov 24th-Dec 2nd. Neither one of us has ever been so this is new and exciting. I am thinking this will be enough time to cover a few places like Rome, Sicily, Capri, Amalfi coast...

I have a few newbie questions:

1) What will the weather be like in that part of the country? Warm enough?
2) Is it worthwhile booking a tour that takes care of the transportation, accomodation etc or can we do that ourself... renting a car, booking a good hotel... Any suggestions for a tour company with good reviews?
3) I imagine vegetarian (dairy OK, no meat or seafood or chicken) food is easy to find in Italy... would that be a fair assumption?

Any advice or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!
-Dee
Old Oct 2nd, 2011, 07:29 AM

Those months are the most rainfall for the year in southern Italy and the temps will be in the 50s--is that warm enough?
Old Oct 2nd, 2011, 07:29 AM

Hi Dee,
>>"Rome, Sicily, Capri, Amalfi Coast"...
That is A LOT Of ground to try to cover in only a week! You could spend a month or more in Rome alone and not see everything ;-). I think you need to narrow down your destinations. What are you primarily interested in seeing? Roman-era ruins, grand churches, etc?
We have been to Rome and Campania (Naples/Amalfi Coast/Pompei/etc) in late November and the weather was cool and very rainy. Our other trips have been in May and June. The November weather didn't prohibit our sightseeing for the most part but it was definitely NOT "beach weather".
I would do some research on indoor activities like museums and churches in case you get a few days where it is truly unpleasant to be outdoors. Light rain is no biggie but it isn't fun to be outside all day when the rain is blowing sideways and you get soaked from the waist down in 40 degree weather with a cold wind.
What about 3 days in Rome and another 3 or 4 based in Sorrento? From Sorrento, you can easily daytrip to Naples to see the National Archaegology Museum and other highlights, to Pompei and Herculaneum, to Capri, and to the Amalfi Coast. Although... I personally wouldn't really want to do the Amalfi Coast and Capri at that time of year. But that is just my opinion.
An option that I would like better would be half my time in Rome and half my time in Florence. Both cities have sightseeing highlights galore and plenty of great indoor options in case the weather turns on you.

Happy Planning,
TA
Old Oct 2nd, 2011, 07:42 AM

I agree with TexasAggie, that is a lot of ground to cover. One of my favorite places in the world is Sicily, which is easily doable for a week trip. Start in Palermo, visit Taormina and another area like Siracusa or Agrigento.
Also, yes, Italy is a wonderful place for vegetarians. Do some research before you go on the regional specialties and you will be ordering like a local in each place you visit!
Enjoy your trip.
Old Oct 2nd, 2011, 07:52 AM

i just happned on this question as i was doing some research for a holiday, we were in Italy summer of 2009(Venice, Rome Tuscany), loved it too death and want to go back except I am not good wth the heat. my huband is a teacher and we are limited to summer christmas and march break, I was just researching southern Italy at Christmas. is it really cold and rainy? I like fall weather the best. what would be better ssouthern Italy at Christmas or March Break?
Old Oct 2nd, 2011, 08:02 AM
Original Poster

@Bob- 50s is fair...I was hoping for 60s
@TexasAggie- (I live in TX ), We definitely don't want to be travelling a lot if the weather isn't cooperating.. I like your suggestion of Rome and Sorrento and then travelling from there.Why wouldn't you visit Capri and AC during that time.. is it because of the rainy/cold weather? The only reason I wasn't considering Florence is because it would be much cooler than the south.
@Guides- Hmm that is something to consider... thanks.
Old Oct 2nd, 2011, 08:48 AM

Our Nov-Dec trip was in 2008 which I understand was an exceptionally rainy year. We had rain for at least half of our 10 day trip. We had at least one full day where it downpoured almost all day. In Rome, the weather was primarily in the 50s. In Sorrento, we had weather ranging from 40F to 60F for daytime high temps. Ironically, the coldest day was a bright, sunny day with a strong, bitter wind. We lived north of Denver at the time though, and so the weather seemed warm to us. Certainly it was cooler than Texas would have been at the time.
The reason I personally wouldn't spend my days visiting Capri and the AC at that time of year is because for me, the primary joy of being in those places is to enjoy being outdoors in the warm sunshine with long days to sightsee and soak in the scenery. The chances of warm and sunny weather are just much slimmer in Nov-Dec and that is why I would devote my time to other places. The days are shorter as are the open hours of many outdoor sights. The ferry connection to Capri isn't as convenient. You are correct in that Florence will most likely be colder than Sorrento... however on the flip side, there is a lot of world class sights to see indoors with the museums, churches, and palaces/convents.

The weather is always a bit of a gamble... it may be cold and rainy one year and balmy and mild the next. If warm weather is a serious priority for you, I'd definitely consider Sicily. Or Turkey.
Happy Planning,
TA
Old Oct 2nd, 2011, 08:52 AM

Florence probably won't be all that much cooler than the south and will definitely have more indoor activities than the AC or Capri. The average high for Florence at the end of November is 55, for Sorrento, 59. I absolutely love Sicily but it needs more than 3 days. I love Capri but wouldn't enjoy it in bad weather. I have a friend who visited the AC in early December a couple of years ago and had a miserable time. You could be lucky and have some sun but there's not much to do if it is driving rain and 47 degrees.

I think if I were visiting Italy when you plan to go, I would either spend my week in Rome or add Florence (admittedly my favorite city in Italy) for 2 or 3 days.
Old Oct 2nd, 2011, 09:19 AM

Since 2003 we've lived more or less in the middle of the area you're considering, and perhaps these - taken mostly on our little island - will give an idea of the conditions...

- in November:
http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/pics_nov

- and during the winter months:
http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/ischiawinter

Here are the general climate stats for Rome....
http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/image/132450974

and Naples...
http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/image/137093820

Should you have the time, there are several thousand pictures from our various trips - mostly through the southern half of the country - that begin here....

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde

I'd suggest first drawing up a wishlist, and only then looking for ways to make it possible?

Peter
Old Oct 2nd, 2011, 09:29 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Veggies get a good deal in Italy. In particular warm rich soups made from pulses and beans.
Old Oct 2nd, 2011, 09:54 AM

lots of information Peter, what are they forcasting for end of december this year for your region?
Old Oct 2nd, 2011, 10:18 AM

Another consideration for that time of year is that many local tours are either suspended for the winter or are not offered as often.

Have you checked to see what types of guided tours ARE available? You'd still be rushed but, as you suggest, all schlepping is done for you so that would save time.

As others suggest, I'd edit this trip: Rome (with a day trip to Pompeii ); or Sicily as suggested above; or Sorrento area (with day trips to Pompeii, Capri and Naples).

With weather possibly rainy, Rome might be a great choice as you could be inside often.

Happy Anniversary!
Old Oct 2nd, 2011, 10:27 AM
Original Poster

I'm so appreciative of all your responses.

I like the 3 days in Rome and then a few days in Sicily or Sorrento.

On a completely different note- what about Saville, Spain? That's another city both my husband and I are interested in. Is there a train that would take us there? This thought just now occured to me.. so sorry if I can't provide more details.
Old Oct 2nd, 2011, 10:42 AM

Regarding visiting Capri in winter: while the crossing can often be smooth and enjoyable, it can also be difficult, even in the best of conditions on the clearest of days in May or September, with crew passing amongst the passengers handing out plastic bags in case of seasickness and the most susceptible lying back miserably in their seats praying for it to be over. I've never had a problem with mal de mer, but not sure I'd attempt it in Nov-Dec unless the day is clear and the air very still.
Old Oct 2nd, 2011, 11:27 AM

Combining Rome, Italy and Sevilla, Spain in one week would be done best by taking a plane between the two cities. The long train ride would be a waste of time with such a short schedule
Old Oct 2nd, 2011, 11:40 AM

The area you're talking about is not southern - it's central and southern Italy.

As others have mentioned rain is likely and the temps can be warmer (perhaps a high of 60 in sicily) or chillier - it could be a high in the 40s.

For the Amalfi Coast this is definitely off season. Can be nice for hiking - if it doesn;t rain. Way too cold for beaches, quite a few hotels and rests are closed for the season, some of the ferries have stopped and some of them run or not depending on the wether and how high the seas are. Capri may or may not be accessible. The Blue Grotto is very problematic this time of year.

If it were me I would take all the time and really see Sicily in some depth.

But the beaches and countryside are not going to be very pleasant.

As for train - Rome to Seville would be forever - as in almost 24 hours. flying is the only thing that makes sense.
Old Oct 2nd, 2011, 11:41 AM

Remember also in your calculations, you will lose the first day with travel and possibly most of the last day as well.
Old Oct 2nd, 2011, 12:53 PM

Do you already have plane tickets to Italy? If so, stick wih Italy rather than taking more time just traveling to a different place.
How I see it:
If you are going to an area for winter activities like skiing or snowboarding, sitting inside by a warm fire, etc. then you want it to be cold and snowy.
If you are going to a resort area that is primarily summer activities like boating, hiking, swimming, sitting out on a terrace looking at beautiful views, being outside, then you want it to be warm and sunny. The Amalfi Coast is definitely in the "best in warm weather" category.
Cities, like Rome and Florence are fine in winter because you can stop in cafes and warm up, and there are lots of museums, churches, etc. to visit.
Consider TDudette's suggestion and combine Rome with Sorrento for a couple of days and see Pompeii, which is fine in chilly weather as long as it isn't pouring rain..
TexasAggie also offered a very good idea. If you haven't booked tickets, consider Turkey.
Old Oct 2nd, 2011, 03:13 PM
Original Poster

@Sassafras: No plane tickets yet. The Spain idea just popped in my head.. You're right about not wanting to take too much time in travel for such a short trip.

I'm liking the Rome and possibly Sorrento/Sicily idea a lot. How easy is it to get to these cities from Rome? Is there a train? Would I need to book these tickets much in advance from the US? Would prefer to not drive if the weather is pouring rain.

And Turkey is a great destination, but we're fasicnated with Italy.. and this being our very first trip to Europe, we want it to be a place we've both always wanted to go.
Old Oct 2nd, 2011, 03:47 PM

Sorrento is easy--one hour train from Rome to Naples, then local commuter train from Naples (same station) to Sorrento, also about an hour. From Sorrento it's easy to visit Pompeii, return to Naples to visit the archaeological museum, take a bus down the Amalfi Coast as the weather allows, or just relax and enjoy the town and views.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -