Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   dubrovnik (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/dubrovnik-783739/)

eg60 May 9th, 2009 05:12 PM

dubrovnik

I will be arranging accommodations for 3 couples visiting Dubrovnik in late September. The areas I have looked at to stay for 3 days are Cavtat, or inside the walled city of Dubrovnik. Is it feasible to stay in Cavtat and rely on public transport/taxi to get us to and from Dubrovnik? Would it be better to get a place to stay right in Dubrovnik? Advice on this and suggestions on hotels/apartments would be appreciated. Thank you.

adrienne May 9th, 2009 05:57 PM

I stayed outside of Dubrovnik but would have much preferred to stay within the old city walls. It's such a beautiful city for walking around at night, enjoying a coffee or wine in one of the cafes. Do try to book accommodations within the city.

Amanda23 May 9th, 2009 06:49 PM

To present an opposite opinion to Adrienne, we stayed in an apartment outside the old town but still in Dubrovnik, a ways up the hill, and were glad we did not stay in the Old Town. We had a beautiful view of the Adriatic and the Old Town from our balcony and enjoyed many evenings watching the lights of the Old Town sparkle below us while we had a glass of wine before bed, and also many mornings eating breakfast on our balcony with million dollar views right in front of us. We stayed at Apartments Antonela and our little studio was wonderful (they have other sizes of apartments as well). Regardless of what accommodation or location you choose, you will LOVE Dubrovnik - it's one of my favourite places in the world.

Amanda :0

Laurie May 9th, 2009 08:44 PM

We loved staying within the old town of Dubrovnik. I would not enjoy climbing the many stairs each night to return to my room.
Also, walking around the harbor area at night is a treat.

There are many apartments to rent within the Old Town.

Dubrovnik is great! Stay there and visit Cavtat by ferry.

Have a great time!
Laurie

viking May 10th, 2009 01:05 AM

I fail to understand why so many folks overlook the flat area immediately north of the walled city, which seems loaded with rooms. It's easy to walk and you can find places literally a half block away that should have much lower prices than inside. I stayed way north at the port, but it was still interesting enough that I preferred to walk rather than taking buses.

dprsjacksn May 10th, 2009 07:36 AM

It sounds from the replies like you might need to just pick what type of accomodations, activities and town you enjoy. I would highly recommend Cavtat, a small and beautiful fishing village on the sea. To me, it is the most beautiful place on earth. The food is outstanding, lots of culture, beauty, swimming, cafes, extremely safe. Quiet, easy boat or bus ride away from Dubrovnik.

Dubrovniktravelady May 10th, 2009 10:41 AM

Cavtat is a lovely town, easy ferry ride about 40 minutes from the old port of Dubrovnik. It is quiet and also is in the flight pattern to our airport, but the flights do not arrive or depart during the night time hours.
The old town is a lovely place to stay, it also can be quiet or very lively at night. Some bars are open until the wee hours and if there is a soccer game, it will be very loud and very busy. There are some very nice areas just outside the walls, either in the Pile or Ploce areas which do have a few stairs and some have more than 200. You must be careful when asking the owners, if they tell you it is a 10 minute walk to town believe me it is 20. Ask the exact number of stairs, but the higher areas do offer the fantastic views of town.
Allow me to offer a website which I used before I moved here. Michelle and Andrew offer a very large inventory of private apartments which have been personally inspected by them. Their photos are recent and descriptions accurate. they are a young couple from New York and know the area very well. Also they will accept credit cards as a deposit.
Please do not hesitate to contact them, you will be able to locate exactly accommodations to suit your needs.
www.dubrovnikapartmentsource.com

Dobrodosli

LittleVicky May 11th, 2009 06:14 AM

To get the unbiased full picture, just Google Apartments Dubrovnik.

RayKrebs May 13th, 2009 02:01 AM

I think you're better off staying in or close to the Old Town. It could get expensive taking taxis back and forth to Cavtat and you'll want to spend a lot of time in the Old Town. www.dubrovnikapartmentsource.com is a good suggestion. I used them too and they were really helpful. I stayed in an apartment with really great views of the Old Town and we had a terrific time.

eg60 May 19th, 2009 09:24 AM

Many thanks for the advice. I did use www.dubrovnikapartmentsource.com and chose an apartment in Cavtat. We will be one day in Dubrovnik, one day in Montenegro, and one day in Cavtat.