Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Dubrovnik (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/dubrovnik-386230/)

mjz_kc Jun 29th, 2008 02:22 PM

Dubrovnik

We're planning a trip to Croatia next Spring. Instead of constantly changing hotels, I'm thinking of basing our trip out of the Hilton (award stay) in Dubrovnik. We could then take day trips as we desire. Are we missing out on anything if we take this approach? We would also consider flying into Split - spending 1 1/2 days - and then base ourselves out of Dubrovnik for 5/6 days.

Ackislander Jun 30th, 2008 03:18 AM

It depends a lot on what you want to do.

Dubrovnik is wonderful, and the Hilton is well-reviewed and very well located. You could spend a lazy few days relaxing on the pebble beaches and do day trips to Montenegro and Bosnia and to some of the villages along the coast, but the better islands like Hvar are (I think) an overnight trip.

But, some of the best of Croatia like the Istrian peninsula and Pitlivice will be beyond reach.

mjz_kc Jun 30th, 2008 05:01 AM

That helps, thank you.

What we are thinking is of flying into Split and doing the following:
- 2 nights in Split
- 1 night in Hvar
- Possibly one night on another island such as Brac or Vis
- 4 nights in Dubrovnik with a couple of day trips
- Fly out of Dubrovnik

Any comments/suggestions welcome.

thursdaysd Jun 30th, 2008 05:39 AM

I would skip an island to work in Plitvice. One island is not that different from another, but Plitvice is unique - see tinyurl.com/yub7ah.

mjz_kc Jun 30th, 2008 05:53 AM

Sounds amazing. Can I do a day trip to Plitvice from Split?

Ackislander Jun 30th, 2008 05:58 AM

Yes, you can do a day trip to Pitlivice from Split.

thursdaysd Jun 30th, 2008 06:03 AM

I spent the night at Plitvice (in the Hotel Plitvice) and would have liked to stay longer. I was traveling by bus, and I hear there's a new fast road now, so I'm not up-to-date on whether you could do it as a day trip.

travel2live2 Jun 30th, 2008 08:10 AM

I agree with skipping an island to see Plitvice. It is breathtaking! I would also recommend spending some time in Trogir (early a.m. or late p.m. to avoid crowds). It is near Split but so much more charming and packed with character! :)

yorkshire Jun 30th, 2008 10:21 AM

I agree about fitting in Plitvice if you can.
Instead on one night each on 2 islands, pick one for 2 nights, preferably one you can stop on in between Split and Dubrovnik (namely Hvar or Korcula due to the ferry schedules).
Decide what day trips you would be interested in first, then choose how long to spend in Dubrovnik, as you may decide to put an extra day elsewhere.

maitaitom Jun 30th, 2008 11:20 AM

"Yes, you can do a day trip to Pitlivice from Split."

Earlier this month, we left Trogir at 7:30 a.m. and arrived in Plitvice at 10:15 a.m.

You can see the lower and upper lakes in about 3 - 4 hours. Plitvice is one of the most unbelievable spots I have ever seen.

We stayed at Hotel Plitvice, which we liked, and our room had a beautiful view. The hotel had a nice patio with bar service and nice views (always a great combination).

You can do Plitvice as a day trip from Split, but I would recommend an overnight.

((H))

mjz_kc Jun 30th, 2008 11:44 AM

Thanks for all the advice. I booked our award tix this morning - into Split and out of Dubrovnik. Based on the glowing remarks, we'll definitely visit Plitvice. I'm hoping the beginning of May will be a nice time to visit Croatia.

southeastern Jun 30th, 2008 11:51 AM

You might also think about going into Mostar, Bosnia for the day and see the bridge and the bomb holes in the buildings and sidewalks. It's a nice town and the drive from Dubrovnik was great. We hired a driver and car for the day and found it to be an excellent choice. Our driver didn't speak English but we had done our reading on Mostar. There was also a wonderful little town (artisan) where we stopped at on the way too and bought some art.We really enjoyed the town and the shops in Bosnia.