Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Dublin which area to stay? Temple Bar or Trinity? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/dublin-which-area-to-stay-temple-bar-or-trinity-366191/)

GiuliaPiraino May 22nd, 2008 01:41 PM

Dublin which area to stay? Temple Bar or Trinity?

Or somewhere else? I am planning a trip for my husband and his cousin and her two teenagers, one 16 and the other 18.

She had mentioned being a light sleeper so is Temple Bar totally out of the question due to the noise?

Which area is best for being centrally located as far as walking to any of the major sights?

bachslunch May 22nd, 2008 03:37 PM

Both Trinity College and Temple Bar are good centrally located areas for sightseeing.

If you're considering accommodations at Trinity College proper, I'm thinking you plan on staying in their on-campus dorm rooms, which become a B&B when classes are out. They're a decent though very frugal choice, if so, but expect a dorm-style bathroom down the hall. My guess is that they'd be quieter than staying at Temple Bar, but I've never taken lodging there.

Padraig May 22nd, 2008 04:00 PM

Temple Bar is generally noisy, although some places might have quiet rooms -- but it's probably a bad bet.

In the evening, the teens might enjoy the ambience for the sort of reasons that might worry their mother.

yestravel May 22nd, 2008 04:28 PM

We didnt stay in Temple Bar area, but it was very crowded and loud whenever we walked thru it at night. I imagine a 16 & 18 yr olds would love the area though.

Ceidleh May 22nd, 2008 07:04 PM

Trinity does offer some rooms that have a private bathroom.

Temple Bar is only about a 2-3 minute walk from Trinity.

Dublin is fairly compact - very easy to walk to many tourist sights.

Around Merrion Square is nice, quiet and pretty close to major sights.

littlejane May 22nd, 2008 11:06 PM

The rooms in Trinity are nice and quiet - great location. Yes expect very basic accommodation and unless they are staying in the "new" rooms (built about 15 years ago) which have ensuites they will be sharing a bathroom down the hall.

Hotels in Temple Bar will probably be more luxurious but noise could be a real issue.

64driver May 23rd, 2008 12:19 AM

The Westin Dublin is right down the street from Trinity College. It is a beautiful hotel, very comfortable and quiet, with a nice bar and restaurant.

SiobhanP May 23rd, 2008 06:24 AM

The westin is lovely but you are taking a huge leap in price from Trinity! Trinity is a great location and the rooms are not bad at all. I think its a great deal and not all bathrooms are shared from what i thought. You could get a 3 bed (1 room for you and 2 for kids and it would be self contained)

travelchat May 23rd, 2008 09:05 AM

Overnights in Temple Bar are not for the faint hearted or light sleeper. After five wide awake nights in an Irish Heritage property just off Dame Street, I would most definitely not recommend that area for a hotel stay. Since smoking has been banned the crowds are out in the streets drinking and smoking and making lots of noise. It's fun to visit, but sleep elsewhere!

GiuliaPiraino May 28th, 2008 11:31 AM

I've found a place not far from Merrion Square called Number 31, anyone heard about it? www.number31.ie

It's very expensive, 260 euros per night b&b, but it's number 8 on trip advisor out of 200.

There doesn't seem to be much middle ground in Dublin, it's either cheap and run down or noisy or super pricey.

Reisender May 28th, 2008 12:03 PM

The Mespil Hotel was nice when we used it a couple of years ago. It is a short stroll to Trinity College and in a nice quiet area.

yestravel May 28th, 2008 03:29 PM

I considred Number 31 for our trip this winter. In the end got a decent price from the new Radisson SAS. It had a good location, modern and very nice given it was just 6 months or so old. U might check it out.

chazman Jun 8th, 2008 08:06 AM

We stayed at Jurys Inn Christchurch. It is across the road from Christchurch and short walk to Temple Bar and Dublin Castle. To obtain the best compromise between view and noise, request a room facing the street but on an upper floor.