Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Dublin Trains; First Class; Lounges (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/dublin-trains-first-class-lounges-1662420/)

donnae_b Jan 12th, 2019 11:42 AM

Dublin Trains; First Class; Lounges

If you have a first class rail pass is there a lounge in Dublin's main train station? Thank you for your help.

PalenQ Jan 12th, 2019 11:52 AM

check www.seat61.com for possible insights on that.

thursdaysd Jan 12th, 2019 01:33 PM

No mention of one here:

Dublin Connolly

mjdh1957 Jan 13th, 2019 12:27 AM

The only trains in Ireland with first class are Dublin-Cork and Dublin-Belfast and there are no lounges in the stations.

A first class rail pass for Ireland will be very poor value. Train fares are cheap enough if you book in advance and the network is not that extensive so you may find it better to travel by bus on many routes

PalenQ Jan 13th, 2019 06:03 AM

They could be using a Eurailpass of some type that is also valid in Ireland. And for folks over 29 Eurails are usually only 1st class.

mjdh1957 Jan 13th, 2019 10:22 AM

So extra poor value then compared to buying tickets in advance. There is no first class on most trains in Ireland

Christina Jan 13th, 2019 10:44 AM

I think the question wasn't about the seats, but whether there is a special lounge in the station for first-class folks. Like airports, I guess. I've never seen such a thing in any train station, wonder if there are any in any city. Where I live, no one gets a lounge. In NYPenn, at least there is a lounge, but it's for any train customer. I've been in some French rail stations that had a lounge also but it was for anyone.

Southam Jan 13th, 2019 11:48 AM

VIArail in Canada has a business class lounge in the refurbished Union Station in Toronto.
Riding Dublin to Cork on the relatively new passenger service, I was dazzled to find my name illuminated above my reserved seat. Finally, my name in lights!
Then, in Thurles, I was pleasantly surprised that the station staff took care of my luggage for a few hours even though they had no check room. A most obliging operation, it seemed to me.

thursdaysd Jan 13th, 2019 11:59 AM

Not sure which lounge at NYPenn Christina is talking about, but the ClubAcela lounge is not open to everyone. Access restricted to: "Acela First Class or sleeping car passengers, Single-Day Pass holders, Amtrak Guest Rewards Select Plus and Select Executive members".

Last year I was able to use the first class lounge at Euston in London as I had a first class ticket, which was welcome as I was able to shower before the night train.

janisj Jan 13th, 2019 12:05 PM

>>I've never seen such a thing in any train station, wonder if there are any in any city. <<

Sure there are -- lots.

I've not seen one in Ireland though.

mjdh1957 Jan 13th, 2019 01:03 PM

There are none in Ireland. Connolly station is a very cramped site with only a small café, though Heuston is a lot bigger so there are a couple of eating options and cafés but they are all open to the public and not restricted to first class passengers (of which there are very few)

donnae_b Jan 14th, 2019 07:21 PM

Thank you

We are trying to figure out our options, your comments are very helpful. Thank you.