Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Dublin to Shannon itinerary- review- please :)

Old Sep 12th, 2006, 08:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have researched and researched. I go in three weeks. Please let me know if this is doable and a wise choice???

10-3 Dublin 2 nights- no car
10-5 pick up rental car drive to Cork City
10-6 Kinsale
10-7 Kenmare
10-8 Killarney
10-9 Dingle 2 nights
10-11 ?????? Do I have time for the Cliffs of Moher? Where to stay?
10-12 Bunratty
10-13 am flight home out of Shannon
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 08:13 AM
Original Poster

Also, I only have lodging reservations for Dublin and Bunratty. So if advised, the nights could be moved to add a great location.

I do need to make my lodging reservations ahead since I need three beds. So any cheap B&B recommendations are very welcome too.
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 08:34 AM
GBC

Hi BudgetQueen,
I think it is very doable. To me, two nights in Dublin is fine. We have done a very similar itinerary.

One point to check is that Kenmare and Killarney are only about 84 kilometers, or about 1.5 hours apart. Rather than repack and relocate you could pick one and travel to the other, or not, as you wish.

You can visit the Cliffs of Moher and you can drive through the Burren (my personal choice). Stay nearby in Ballyvaughn. Consider Drumcreehy House, it is reasonable, well located, and quite nice.

You probably know that the viamiichelin website is very helpful for drive times and directions.

You are focused on a very nice part of Ireland. Enjoy your trip.
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 02:48 PM

Cork City and Kinsale are very close. Choose one and spend 2 nights there. Kinsale would be my choice. Choose either Kenmare of Killarney and spend 2 nights there. I see you will be in Dingle over a weekend. You might consider reservations for that. If you search this forum or others you will find many recommendations for places to stay in your areas of interest.
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 03:30 PM

The drive between Kenmare and Killarney is more like45 minutes, not 1 1/2 hours.

I agree with Irish Eyes...more 2 night stays, rather than moving every day, its more relaxing.

We stayed in Doolin to see the Cliffs. But I think Ballyvaughan is a nice choice too. You can see them on the drive from Dingle. Or perhaps you can stay in Enis for 2 nights and see Bunratty from there? I'm not sure ofthe distance, but I suspect its not bad.
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 05:35 PM

I agree with previous poster, two nights in either Ennis or Bunratty will give you time for the Cliffs and save one more unpack/pack. Your trip sounds wonderful. Hope we get a trip report!
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 05:38 PM

I saw earlier today (and didn't have time to answer then) that you asked about the best tour map of Ireland. If you live near a Barnes and Noble or Borders, they usually have several on the shelf so you can look them over and see which set up is best for you. You can also wait till you arrive in Dublin. The tourist office at the airport is usually open for incoming flights and you can buy one there which will be the most up to date. They are busy upgrading the roads in Ireland.
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 04:55 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much for the information. I have changed to Kinsale for 2 nights. and Ballyaughn 10-11

Now a final question- Kenmare or Killarney. I'll go with the groups recommendation!!! I do have my 22 year old son with me, who would probably prefer more nightlife- pub/music action. So would smaller Kenmare still fit that preference?? Thank you so much- again.
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 10:22 AM

Killarney will have more especially in October. In Kenmare the restaurants start closing off season. Don't worry about too many tourists in Killarney in Oct. The season is winding down.
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 11:25 AM

I liked Kenmare over Kilarney (smaller and more 'cozy' to me) but I agree that there would be more of a night life in Kilarney if that's what you're looking for. I just got back from 2 weeks going Shannon-Dublin and my route was very similar to yours (but no Dublin city for me). I didn't go into Cork but I did like Kinsale. I really need to sit down and get the trip report out...