Reload this Page >

Dublin to Kilkenny, via Wicklow Mtns?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21st, 2000, 04:39 PM
Mike

On our vacation, I am planning to drive from Dublin to Kilkenny. Although it's not the shortest route, I would like to pass thru the Wicklow Mountains. Would this be too much to do in one day? I'm not sure how much I will be able to cover in one day.

Old Jul 21st, 2000, 07:19 PM
Emily

I haven't been through the Wicklow Mountains but we drove from Cork to Dublin easily in a day. For distances check out <BR>http://www.dan-dooley.ie/dooley/distances.html <BR>Keep in mind that it is especially easy to get lost in Ireland, you'll need really, really good maps. The main highways aren't bad (like the trip from Cork to Dublin) but the signs on secondary roads aren't very easy to follow. I think someone here once suggested doubling the time you'd expect to drive the same # of miles in the US for instance. Good luck!

Old Jul 22nd, 2000, 08:18 AM
Cathy

Mike, <BR>Just be warned that driving through the Wicklow Mts to Kilkenny will add a lot of miles on to the trip. I would suggest that you drive down to Wicklow, spend the night and then continue onto to Kilkenny. I make this suggestion for several reasons 1) very bad signposting all over the Mts and it is very easy to get lost. There are roads and tracks in Wicklow and through the Mts that have never appeared on a map. 2) the mist comes down very quickly on the Mts and even though your road may be on the map you may not see the turning etc, in addition there are some hazard driving along the edge of Mts etc. I would suggest that you break you journey near Glendalough or Woodenbridge (can recommend a very good B&B in Wbridge if you are interested). as the previous post mentioned allow twice the time to cover half the distance and be prepared for some bad roads in places, Have a good time and post if you have any more questions - <BR> <BR>Cathy

Old Jul 24th, 2000, 12:42 PM
Rachel

Don't miss the Wicklow Mountains. And I say this after getting lost during a snowstorm while hiking through the Wicklows. <BR> <BR>Glendalough is a wonderful spot. A little town called Laragh is near there. There's a beautiful B&B on the edge of town--it looks a little Englishy, but don't let that stop you. It's big, and on it's on. Can't remember the name. There's also a youth hostel in the village, and it's on the route of the Wicklow Way, if you want to do some hiking. <BR> <BR>Make reservations in advance for Kilkenny if you're going during the summer. It's a pretty, fun town. Don't plan to drive down the main streets, though. They're packed beyond bursting. There's a great Indian restaurants on a side street. My memory fails me again, but just take the alley next to a two-story bookstore on the main street running through town, and you'll hit the place in about 200 yards. Also a very good Italian place near the castle.

Old Jul 25th, 2000, 12:14 PM
Cathy

The name of that B&B in Laragh is Mitchell's - it is a B&B and restaurant and is just wonderful. I have stayed there a few times and woke up to the sound of a running stream and pure tranquilty - the evening meal was excellent - one place I keep returning to when escaping from Dublin for peace and beauty. There are some wonderful walks and an old military road nearby <BR> <BR>Have a good time

Old Jul 25th, 2000, 01:19 PM
sophie

We drove from Dublin to Kilkenny in one day with time for a four-hour hike in the Wicklow mountains at Glendalough! <BR> <BR>We made it to Glendalough from Dublin in an hour and a half, spent all day there and left at 6:30, had dinner in a one of those coastal towns and made it up to Kilkenny by 10 pm. Just make sure you have a reservation in Kilkenny and good directions on how to find your lodging.