Dublin to Galway train, cab, or car?

Apr 23rd, 2002, 01:52 PM
Leslie

Dublin to Galway train, cab, or car?

We had intended to fly to Dublin and take the train to Galway on the 6th.
We have been informed (two women visiting from Galway at husbands work) that the 6th is a bank holiday and the traffic getting from the airport to the train would be
quite bad in Dublin. It would be a holiday schedule with fewer trains and would
be very crowded with University students returning to school. They suggested
we fly, or take a taxi or hired car (company pays), for some reason my husband is dead set
against renting a car and driving ourselves.
Do you have any experience with Dublin on a bank holiday? What about flying from Dublin to Galway ? What size do you think the planes would most likely be? Does anyone know how to go about hiring a car the travel agent is at a loss. I would love to drive. Any thoughts?

Apr 23rd, 2002, 03:01 PM
jollyrogers

Will also be in Ireland that time, so thanks for the warning of the bank holiday. Most travel agents here shoulds be able to book you a car as they have the same companies over there. We are renting from Hertz, but have booked it with our whole package. However, I do have these numbers: 1-800-223-6470 (Gulliver Travels) and 1-800-398-4376. I can't figure out my notes, but I think that the first number is Gulliver and they do car hire and reservations in Ireland (they are located in Ireland). Also, you can take a look at www.shamrock.org, or call them at 1-800-shamrock and ask them. Have fun!

Apr 23rd, 2002, 03:14 PM
Bill

I would recommend driving to Galway, but probably not on your first day there. Anything more than a couple of hours on your first day is usually a bad idea. Granted, I'm from the western US so jet lag is worse for me, but still....

The road to Galway is pretty good (by Irish standards) and driving is just not that hard. Get an automatic.

Try europcar (http://www.europcar.ie/#) for rates. I researched it pretty seriously and I got the best deal from them when I reserved last December for this May.

Bill

Apr 23rd, 2002, 05:41 PM
Brenda

Fly. The flight is wonderful and easy. Aer Arann is the way to go. Their website is <www.aerarann.ie>
I flew Dublin to Galway last May and it was great. Then have a car waiting for you at Galway airport.

Apr 24th, 2002, 05:16 AM
xxxxxx

Hi,
Whatever you do, do not get a cab!! This would cost you about 250-300 euro!!
The train is a nightmare on bank holidays so either fly or rent a car. Flying costs approx 60-70 euro and only takes 30 minutes. The planes are'nt tiny crappy ones...they are fine.Enjoy!