Dublin or London for a girl's getaway weekend

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 9th, 2007, 09:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking to plan a girl's getaway weekend for 3 friends. We are 30, 46 & 49. What do you think of Dublin or London? What are the pros and cons?

We love great food and shopping. I have been to London twice and loved it. Would definitely go back again. Have never been to Dublin. Or would you pick another city?

Also, can you suggest great hotels? Thanks in advance.
Old May 9th, 2007, 09:34 AM

I would say Dublin as the Pound is a killer when it comes to shopping.

Dublin is great for shopping and it is smaller and more accessible obviously than London.

Dublin is also great fun. Good bars, good food etc. It's party city.
Old May 9th, 2007, 10:29 AM

Dublin is definitely a party city and yes very compact and easy to get around.

I'm not sure how the pound has changed against the euro if at all. The cost of rooms in London is certainly higher but I didn't find that "dollar for dollar" there was a huge difference in the cost of food. Didn't visit Dublin on the last trip though.

If you've been to London a few times, do Dublin. Although I prefer Ireland to England and I'm generally not a city guy, I really like London and always manage to have a great time there.

Bill
Old May 9th, 2007, 10:53 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Me personally - I'd always choose London over Dublin. But since you've never been, Dublin might be a the best choice.

How about Edinburgh? or Amsterdam?

Where are you traveling from?
Old May 9th, 2007, 11:02 AM
Original Poster

I am travelling from Boston. One of my friends has never been to either Dublin or London. Which city is prettier (if you can call a city pretty!)?
Old May 9th, 2007, 11:03 AM
Original Poster

Hi janisj, what is Edinburgh like?
Old May 9th, 2007, 11:17 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Edinburgh is fabulous. The medieval old city sits on top and the Georgian New town down below w/ Princes Street/Gardens the dividing line between them. Then the Castle looms over all w/ views across the water to Fife. Lots of history, pubs, restaurants plus a terrific Botanic Garden, the National Gallery, not-to-be-missed Museum of Scotland and so on. The entire city is walkable - but there is also great bus service.

It all depends on what sorts of things you want. But Edinburgh is an amazing city. Much more "dramatic scenery" than either Dublin or London.

Old May 9th, 2007, 11:46 AM

I would rate Dublin 3rd before London and Edinburgh. If it's just a weekend, I would opt for Edinburgh as it is compact and you can feel like you've done a good bit of what you want to there, while you will just barely get your feet wet in London.

Glasgow is meant to be the shopping capital of Scottland, but I prefer Edinburgh.
Old May 9th, 2007, 12:42 PM

Haven't been to Scotland yet (soon, hopefully) but between London and Dublin, definitely Dublin for a weekend. Very compact and easy to get around. Stay very central. I've stayed at the Charles Stewart twice and loved it. It is simple and basic but clean and very centrally located -- we walked almost everywhere. It is also the most inexpensive place I've found in central Dublin (that was also nice and had a private bathroom). Great Irish breakfast. charlesstewart.ie

As for other cities, I'd second Amsterdam. Or even Copenhagen, though probably requires more connections. For a weekend I'd go somewhere with few (or better yet, none) connections.

-Ronda