Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Dublin or Lisbon in January, which one would you choose?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12th, 2002, 08:22 AM
Sid

We are a bunch of guys in their mid 20's.<BR><BR>Tough choices:<BR>Dublin- plenty of bars but cold and rainny weather, not much attractions.<BR>Lisbon- plenty of attractions but nightlife is ok but weather is comfortable.<BR><BR>Where would you go or any other alternatives? My plans for Rio De Janeiro are falling through and Buenos Aires is TOO far from NYC.

Old Nov 12th, 2002, 08:58 AM
xxx

Guys, Lisbon has a pretty damn good nightlife scene, from what I remember after a visit about 5 years ago. So don't downplay it. As you're considering a more Latin country, put Madrid or Barcelona, Spain, into the hat: GREAT nightlife (it warms up til midnight and then lets loose), super food, atmosphere, etc... <BR><BR>Coming back to your original two ideas, I think in Lisbon you'll get more of a continental flavor, in Dublin probably straight Irish. You should also think about Edinburgh, Scotland - a university town, great place. Haven't been there, but it's the rave apparently. And don't forget Amsterdam - they're very fluent in English there, and it's got a reputation (good and, well, different shall we say) for nightlife...<BR><BR>So - if you really don't care about the rain and cold, then Dublin, Edinburgh or Amsterdam. If you want some reasonable weather, then Lisbon, Madrid or Barcelona. <BR><BR>Have loads of hangovers deciding... <BR>

Old Nov 12th, 2002, 09:02 AM
xxx

Sid, surprised you didn't mention London, the capitol of trendy European nightlife. Plus loads to see, do. Food is not 100% but there's loads of excellent ethnic restaurant selections like Indian, Asian, that can make up for it.<BR><BR>

Old Nov 12th, 2002, 09:42 AM
cheers

I do prefer Edinburgh over Dublin. But your drinking funds will go much further in Dublin. Can't beat the pubs in Ireland for drinking fun!

Old Nov 12th, 2002, 01:09 PM
Richard

Dublin's pretty continental these days, as it's become the top destination for weekenders from continental Europe.<BR><BR>Are you looking for nightlife or attractions? Dublin has plenty of both. In addition to lots of young women who dig an American accent for some reason.