Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Dublin or Iceland? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/dublin-or-iceland-677884/)

Tim_and_Liz Feb 8th, 2007 07:01 AM

Dublin or Iceland?

We are thinking of taking a 4-5 day trip in May.

I found this thread ("Ireland or Iceland"): http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34806766

But the OP was traveling for 7-8 days.

Given the short duration of our trip, would you choose Dublin or Iceland?

We will be flying from Minneapolis. We can fly nonstop to REK but would connect to get to DUB. The flight to Iceland is slightly less expensive.

TIA!

Liz

JuneAnn Feb 8th, 2007 07:15 AM

Having been to both places and very much enjoyed both trips, I would highly recommend Iceland. It is quite unique and a great 4-5 day trip. May will be a lovely time of year as well.

Tim_and_Liz Feb 8th, 2007 08:21 AM

Thanks JuneAnn-

Do you have any recommendations for a 4-5 day Iceland itinerary? Did you write a trip report (have a link?)?

Thanks again!

wally34949 Feb 8th, 2007 08:39 AM

I think August and September would be better for Ireland. Iceland will be cool--between 28-59 whenever you go, but the hot and warm pools will warm you up.

As for Iceland, you have two choices. You can either rent a car at the airport and drive around yourself, or use the public transportation from the airport to the city, and sign up for a few one day tours. The Golden Circle tour is the most popular, along with the Blue Lagoon tour that is often done on the way back to the airport.

MarthaT Feb 8th, 2007 10:26 AM

Ditto what Wally said. If you decide not to rent a car most hotels have a display in the lobby of many tours you can take, either half days or full days or just to places like the Blue Lagoon.
If given the choice I would choose Iceland.

JuneAnn Feb 8th, 2007 11:13 AM

How many nights would you be in Iceland?
The Icelandic tourist board is amazing and has a large array of tours, including tours on your day of departure that will take you to the airport at the end of the day. You could stay in Reykavik and use that as your home base doing day trips from there. I was there twice and did just that on my first short trip. On my second trip we flew to Akurari and did touring in that area. So, how many nights? What time would you arrive?

Amy Feb 8th, 2007 11:37 AM

I've been to both, and would choose Iceland as well, although Dublin is a lot of fun! For that amount of time I'd stay right in Reykjavik and take tours out; horseback riding and whalewatching are a definite, as well as some swim time along with the sightseeing/Golden Circle.

It's just glorious.

wasleys Feb 8th, 2007 02:51 PM

Liz,

I would choose Iceland, but what are your interests and preferences?

Michael

Tim_and_Liz Feb 11th, 2007 05:09 AM

Sorry it's taken me a few days to reply... had to escape Mpls for some warm weather this weekend!

Thank you to all who have replied-- how does 4.5 days sound? We would arrive at 6:20am on Friday and depart at 4:30pm on Tuesday. We could add a day or two, but we are traveling a lot this year and trying to keep costs down.

We are 27 and 30 years old, are active but not long-distance hikers, love scenery, food, drinking in pubs (not really dance clubs), and culture. We loved New Zealand and feel that Iceland will be similar but more exotic.

Tim's vacation was approved, so with your validation, we will probably book soon!

Thank you SO much for your comments-- keep them coming!

Liz

Amy Feb 11th, 2007 08:28 AM

In four and a half days, especially arriving when you do and departing in the later afternoon, you can actually do quite a bit. There's a thread here
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...mp;tid=1278237 to get you started; it doesn't show up in the regular searches, but it's got a list of lots of people's favorite things about Iceland.

Enjoy!

asalamy Feb 11th, 2007 08:39 AM

I visited Iceland back in October (not the ideal time I realise) for about 4 nights and used Rek as my base, taking day tours out as some Fodorites have recommended. I enjoyed it and it did remind me of New Zealand.
However, around the Rek area (or as far as you would get on a day trip), I would posit that it reminded my of the NORTH island of NZ - to get to the true beauty I would want to rent a car and get out of Rek if I had the opportunity to do it again. Although I obviously haven't been, I would see it being more similiar to the SOUTH island of NZ.
Hope that makes sense - long story short I would stay in Rek for a few nights, but rent a car and get away from the city as well.

asalamy Feb 11th, 2007 08:41 AM

I should say that I would pick Iceland over Dublin.

Danna Feb 11th, 2007 01:37 PM

I think my choice would depend on how much money I could spend. If I were cashy I'd stay in Iceland, less so then Ireland.

Both offer a wonderful trip. Iceland is a wee bit dear I think!

Tim_and_Liz Feb 12th, 2007 06:55 AM

We're definitely set on Iceland now. Should I go ahead and book our flights, and look at day tours, or do you think a air-hotel-tour package from Iceland Air is the way to go?

Thanks again!

Liz

JuneAnn Feb 12th, 2007 08:31 AM

Iceland , Air had very good priced packages. I would start my search with them, you can always add additional tours. Their pkgs. usually include air, transfers, breakfast, hotel and perhaps the golden circle tour. We booked through them twice and were very, very pleased.

Tim_and_Liz Feb 12th, 2007 01:36 PM

Thanks, JuneAnn!

kay6213132 Feb 19th, 2007 12:01 PM

Been to both...Iceland wins hands down! I'd skip a package, stay in hostels & rent a car. It's very fun! Have a great trip!

kay in Michigan