Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Dublin or Drogheda to Belfast International

Old Apr 9th, 2022, 01:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1. We are flying from Belfast International to Edinburgh,on 22 June, flight leaves at 11.40 am, we have to return a rental car and drop our luggage before 11am.
  2. We had planned to stay in Dublin for 3 nights from June 19th to June 22, including the most part of a day visiting Newgrange, then drive to Belfast International on 22 June, after some second thoughts, I wonder it it would be simpler to stay in Dublin for 2 nights then visit Newgrange on the next day, stay in the vicinity perhaps Drogheda, which would make the drive back to Belfast shorter.
  3. I'm worried about the drive from Dublin to the airport taking longer than anticipated and needing to leave Dublin really early to make sure we get to Belfast International at the proper time.
Old Apr 10th, 2022, 09:13 AM

I'd be staying in Belfast for a 11.40 flight rather than having to get up at stupid o'clock for the drive north.
Old Apr 11th, 2022, 05:04 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, after a lot more thought we have booked accommodation in Newry for the night before the flight. The drive time to Belfast International from the hotel is given as 58 minutes even if it takes longer we won't have to get up stupid o'clock.
Old Apr 17th, 2022, 09:31 AM

I wouldn't plan to arrive at the airport at 11 for an 11:40 flight.

You have to visit Newgrange with a guided tour. If you arrive there on the day, unless you arrive very early, you will likely find that all tours for that day are already booked. Even if you manage to nab a tour, it may be five hours later. The only (but expensive) way to be sure to get in is to reserve a private tour, which will be practically an all-day affair that visits several other sites. We visited Newgrange about 10 years ago, but on our most recent visit we were unsuccessful, even though we arrived early.
Old Apr 18th, 2022, 05:47 AM
Original Poster

I'm not planning to arrive at 11am, for the flight, that is the time the baggage drop closes. We can easily leave Newry by 9am.
Thanks for the Newgrange information, all tours are now booked online, and cannot be booked more than 30 days in advance, I have put it on my to do list for 30 days ahead of our planned visit.