Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Dublin Musical Pub Crawl (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/dublin-musical-pub-crawl-612181/)

rogfam May 1st, 2006 04:08 PM

Dublin Musical Pub Crawl

Has anyone taken this? If so, do you recommend it?

mkdiebold May 1st, 2006 04:46 PM

My husband, 26 year old son, and I took this "Pub Crawl" tour in Dublin. We enjoyed it very much. The musicians not only played extremely well but they also offered mini-lectures at each pub to acquaint us with the history of each instrument and overall style of Irish music.

wojazz3 May 2nd, 2006 11:56 AM

I've always heard very good things about it though never done it. My guess is that it's well done.

Bill

emmalee_71 May 2nd, 2006 12:51 PM

I would say it's a must. Singing is such a big part of the IRish cultrue and I would love to do it. It was highly rated on rick steves. Enjoy !

GreenDragon May 4th, 2006 12:52 PM

OK, here's a question on this -- Dublin is our last stop of a two week trip. We start in the west, Ennis/Doolin -- where the good trad music is. Will we be disappointed by touristy stuff on a Dublin musical pub crawl?

NewYorkTraveler May 5th, 2006 07:59 PM

The pub crawl is very touristy. You go to three or four nondescript pubs and they give you plenty of time to order overpriced Guinness. There are only two musicians so the music leaves something to be desired.
My recommendation in Dublin for trad music is The Cobblestone in Smithfield, a five minute walk from the LUAS station. I was there on a Sunday night and there were five talented musicians playing, with another two waiting to join them. Cheers.

GreenDragon May 7th, 2006 11:53 AM

Excellent, thanks! I figured after the 'real thing' the crawl would be a let-down. I'll check out The Cobblestone!

TarheelsInNj May 9th, 2006 09:34 AM

We enjoyed the musical pub crawl very much- rather than play a lot of music, the musicians also spend time speaking about the history, the instruments, the rhythms and dances, etc. It's a great base of knowledge for listening to Irish music in other places- but it sounds like that may be backwards for you!

If you're still looking for a pub crawl experience, I would highly recommend the Literary Pub Crawl. We really enjoyed that one as well, and that visited some really fantastic old pubs (O'Neills was a highlight).

GreenDragon May 9th, 2006 10:15 AM

Is it O'Neill's Victorian Pub, Tarheels? If it is, super -- that's where we're sleeping :)

Since my girlfriends and I are all ren faire junkies, we know a lot of the traditional stuff (at least, the stuff they sing over here) already. we love the music!

TarheelsInNj May 9th, 2006 10:30 AM

I'm not sure it's the same one, GreenDragon. I noticed several O'Neill's during our time in Dublin! I don't believe there were any rooms attached to this one (which is located across from the large tourist center).

GreenDragon May 9th, 2006 12:58 PM

Our O'Neills is right across from Trinity College. I'm sure there are several others -- it's a popular name!

rogfam May 9th, 2006 01:31 PM

Thanks for all the input... now I really don't know what to do!