Dublin/London public transportation logistical challenge

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10th, 2005, 11:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, we may be a tad naive, but my husband and I are going on a Dublin/London trip from 3/26-4/2...without hiring a car. We need to do, at the very least, the following:

We fly out of Newark and into Heathrow and must change terminals there in approx. an hour's time...possible?

We must get to the Paramount Hotel in Dublin from Dublin Airport with bags (and in reverse on the return).

While in Dublin, we need to get around in the city and then to Glendalough/Powerscourt/DunLaoghaire/Bray/Wicklow...think this all can be accomplished by bus/DART, yes?

We then fly back into Heathrow and must get to the Corus Hotel in Hyde Park from Heathrow (and in reverse for the return).

Anyone familiar enough with both places to make recommendations? We were hoping to accomplish this all with public transport, but I'm becoming intimidated quickly...

Old Mar 10th, 2005, 01:03 PM

Well - to answer PART of your question - you don't need nor want a car in either London or Dublin.

You have already received lots of info about getting to your London hotel on one of your other threads.

BUT -- ". . .must change terminals there in approx. an hour's time...possible?" You may have a BIG problem there. Which airlines/terminals are you using into/out of LHR? An hour on the ground at Heathrow is nothing. Even if you US flight is on time, you may taxi for 10 or 15 minutes before even getting to a gate. Then you have long walks to the arrivals hall.

If you can check your bags all the way through there is a very outside chance you can make your second flight. But I'd bet there is a very very good chance your bags will be on a later flight. Especially if you are arriving at terminal 4.

How did you end up booking a 1 hour connection at LHR? If a TA did it, have her change/fix things for you. if you did it yourself on seperate tickets you may have a problem.
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 01:41 PM

One hour in Heathrow is pretty tough.

In Dublin you can get to the Paramount by taking the Aircoach: http://www.aircoach.ie/ to the Trinity College stop and then it's about a 10 minute walk from there. There is also public transit that will get you there. I don't know that it is much less and it may be harder to dwal with luggage. It's pretty easy with aircoach.

Tours would probably be the easiest option to see some of the areas. Mary Gibbons does a tour that includes Glendalough and Powerscourt on the same trip. they can be reached at:353 1 283 9973

CIE has a number of tours from Dublin including trips to Glendalough, Powerscourt, Newgrange etc: http://www.cietours.ie/home/

Here is the link for the DART. http://www.irishrail.ie/dart/home/

Hope this helps in Ireland.

I would think that the Corus Hotel would have suggestions on how to get to their establishment from Heathrow.

Bill
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 04:24 PM
Original Poster

Janis/Bill - thank you for your kind advice. I did contact my TA - the best they could do was give us 1 hr 45 minutes. I hope that'll be enough!
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 09:52 PM

Dublin -

Okay, I have taken the airport bus to the center of town. When we arrived, we didn't get off at the right stop and ended up walking around IN THE RAIN, WITH bags, for close to an hour before we found our stop. Not to mention that the bus stops a MILLION times on the way into town and takes about an hour. Do yourself a favor and get a cab. Split the cost and that way you can be dropped off at your hotel door.