Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Dublin hotels - Morrisons, around St Stephens Green, and other choices too... (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/dublin-hotels-morrisons-around-st-stephens-green-and-other-choices-too-553473/)

julia_t Aug 22nd, 2005 10:00 AM

Dublin hotels - Morrisons, around St Stephens Green, and other choices too...

I've been looking at Dublin hotels for a while, for a mid-December visit.

From searching on this site I decided to avoid O'Connell Street and it's surrounds, although I thought Cassidy's seemed ok.

I had narrowed my choice down to St Stephens on the Green, Stauntons on the Green, and possibly the Georgian, but I now find I can get a special offer at the Morrison for 165 euros per night including breakfast for 2.

At Stauntons it was 152 euros inc breakfast, the Georgian 99 euros without. St Stephen's was around 150 euros.

Have also just found the Gresham at 152 euros and Buswells at 125 euros. Breakfast included at both.

Now I am feeling a little bemused, but feel I should take advantage of these rates which seem to me to be pretty good.

Advice please, from anyone who has stayed in any of these, and hopefully Siobhan too ......

julia_t Aug 22nd, 2005 12:23 PM

ttt...
because its just over 2 hours since I posted, and already it's dropped to number 75!

ggnga Aug 22nd, 2005 01:35 PM

I stayed at Stauntons on the Green. It is a very good location, room was comfortable, breakfast good. I had no complaints at all. It was Nov. 2003, wow! I got a bargain of 88 euros back then for a single with breakfast.

Of course, I have no idea who I booked it through, sorry. Have a wonderful trip.

SiobhanP Aug 23rd, 2005 02:42 AM

The Stephens Green hotel looks lovely and is probably the newer of them. Its a 5 minute walk to grafton street and beside the park.

The Gresham I would not bother its a tourist trap and not that nice.

Stauntons don't know much about but not impressed by the trip advisor reports. Seems too much money for what it is.

Buswells is an older hotel in a great locations about 5 minutes from Grafton street and acroass from the Dail (government buildings). I have not seen the rooms in a long time as I used for work booking years ago.

Trinity Lodge on Frederic S=treet near this is a renovated Georgian building and is quite nice. Check thm out. www.trinitylodge.ie. The morrison is fine too but the rooms are nothing special nce clean modern nice trendy bar. Very expensive but fab restaurant and there are some renovations on the nightclun. Call and ask if there are any other renovations going on as part of the bar was closed off a while back.

Check Trinity Lodge and St Stephens Green hotel in my book for location etc.

hopingtotravel Aug 23rd, 2005 08:38 AM

We stayed at Stauntons just before 9/11/01. I don't remember being overly impressed although the location was very good for walking to areas one wants to see. The second night we made them change our room because the first night we were kept awake by drunken singing pedestrians walking by. Turns out the upcoming weekend was to be a big soccer game and a U2 concert--so maybe not always so noisy.

julia_t Aug 23rd, 2005 09:09 AM

Thanks so much for your advice Siobhan. I've read lots of your posts and you are always most helpful, and it is much appreciated by all visitors to Ireland I'm sure. Also enjoyed the recent Paris thread.

I had wondered if the Morrison was a bit hyped-up.

I've had a good look at Trinity Lodge, and they are quoting me 152 euros for a deluxe room inclusive. This is with a 20% discount for booking more than 3 consecutive days.

St Stephens are 114 euros room only, but I am not desperate for a huge hotel breakfast, - am I right in thinking there would be quite a few places around we could get a decent breakfast for less than the 36 euros St Stephens charge for 2 breakfasts?

If there are, on that basis I think I would go for St Stephen's, unless Trinity Lodge come back to me with a rate for a standard room (we don't really need 2 king-size beds!) which would then be 120 euros inc and better value.

Being a budget traveller usually, I find myself tempted by the Harcourt at 55 euros a night room only. It does have mixed reviews on tripadvisor, but good reviews on hotel-ireland. It seems OK if you get a room at the back of the hotel. However I would not be visiting the nightclub as I will be with my 14yo daughter, so maybe it is not that good a bet realistically. But at that price, if I can save that much on my hotel bill it leaves me lots more to spend elsewhere!

Anyway, Siobhan, if you have the time to let me know on those couple of points I'd appreciate it - I'll even buy you a drink if you're around in December!