COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Dublin Hotels ~ Harcourt Hotel or Eliza Lodge?

Old Feb 10th, 2003, 08:41 AM
Original Poster

Has anyone stayed in either of these establishments? What about rooms and the locations? Also I read Dublin Hotels "Rants & Raves." Terrible review of Stephen's Hall Hotel. Anyone hear anything good about that place. The website pictures look great and it does offer a 2 bedroom apt. at a great rate. Please help. Thanks.
Old Feb 10th, 2003, 10:23 AM
Original Poster

Also would like to know if anyone if familiar with the Howard Johnson serviced apartments. They say they are within walking distance of St. Stephen's Green. Ayone care to comment on these apartments or have any other suggestions for family accommodations in Dublin.
Old Feb 10th, 2003, 12:30 PM

I too would love to know what anyone thinks about the 2 bed apartments (Harcourt Hotel) as I have just booked one for our weekend in August.

Woody
Old Feb 11th, 2003, 02:48 AM
Original Poster

Woody; Does the Harcourt Hotel have apartments, or just two double beds in one room? Maria
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 05:22 AM

Both areas can be lively at nights but personally I would go for the Harcourt Hotel. This I am basing solely on location as I do not know the interior but I think I know it from passing on the bus each day! Eliza lodge is in Temple bar and facing onto the Quays. This can be very noisy with the bars at night and traffic in the day. The hotel looks nice but the Harcourt is a nicer location. Harcourt Street is only a few minutes from Grafton Street and there is a beautiful park called the Iveagh Gardens on a small side steet off Harcourt St. Most people do not know about this place. Also a great place to eat is on Montague street off Harcourt Street called Il Primo. Try to get a seat in the window downstairs its far more fun and the owner will talk to you. He is a German man who loves his wines and will get you try try all kinds...ask the price first before taking the bottle though as they can be high (lots of reasonable ones as well) Its italian food and I always have a good meal here.