Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   dublin hotel recommendations (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/dublin-hotel-recommendations-494893/)

bucky Jan 12th, 2005 12:51 PM

dublin hotel recommendations

Hi,

I'm looking for two hotel rooms in Dublin walking distance to Trinity College. Don't want to stay in Temple Bar cause I've heard it's noisy. In fact, would like a hotel with AC so I can close windows to shut out noise. (light sleeper). this would be for 3 nights in early July. One of the rooms would be for our teenagers, so we require two beds. I'm willing to splurge on this part of the trip.

Any suggestions?

suse Jan 12th, 2005 01:07 PM

Hi Bucky,
Try the Westbury Hotel. Right off of Grafton Street, a short walk to Trinity and right smack in the shopping district. It has a nice lobby and BIG rooms with air conditioning. The internet site offers good rates.

nankar Jan 12th, 2005 01:08 PM

We stayed at the elegant Fitzwilliam several years ago which is adjacent to Stevens Green and quite convenient.

bucky Jan 12th, 2005 02:19 PM

Thanks. I actually had the Westbury at the top of my list and did reserve a room there. It is pricey:226 eur, but less than some others. I was hoping to get a better rate but maybe prices will come down.

The other hotel I was considering is the Westin, which was listed at 209 Eur on their website. Any one have an opinion comparing the two?

suse Jan 12th, 2005 04:01 PM

I have not stayed at the Westin in Dublin, so I can't comment on the rooms, but it is really close to Trinity on a VERY busy street. I think it might have a lot of noise, but other than that it is in a good location. I preferred the location of the Westbury, but that's me, close, but kind of off the main street. I am sure that either would be fine. Have a great time. The Guiness there is the best!!

MileKing Jan 13th, 2005 06:17 AM

If you are willing to splurge, the Westin is exceptional in every regard. We stayed there (using Starwood points) for 3 nights this past May. Although located in a very busy part of Dublin, we did not notice any street noise once inside the hotel. The rooms and service are all first rate. In fact, many frequent travelers at FlyerTalk.com rank the Westin Dublin as one of the finest Starwood properties in the world, and I would agree.

california_claire Jan 14th, 2005 10:39 PM

My husband and I stayed at The Mercer Hotel in October and loved the location. It's on a quiet street, just a block away from Grafton Street and an easy five-minute walk to Trinity College. We couldn't have asked for a better location and the price wasn't bad (about 140 - 150 euros per night, if I remember correctly -- we booked via the Internet and got a special rate). It's a small hotel (only about 22 rooms); we found the staff very helpful and the rooms were spacious and comfortable