Strasbourg to Frankfurt Airport

Old Jun 22nd, 2012, 03:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Strasbourg to Frankfurt Airport

We have a flight to San Francisco from Frankfurt that departs at 5:25 pm, and we need to be at the airport 3 hours early. We would like to spend the night before the flight in Strasbourg, rather than Frankfurt, as we will be exploring that region for a couple of days.

The schedule of the Lufthansa bus doesn't work very well for us, since it leaves at 8 am. The train would leave at 9:48am and arrive at Frankfurt at 12:06pm, with a 35 minute connection. Are the trains generally on time? If so, that would still give us plenty of time before our flight.

Our other option would be to keep our rental car and drive, paying the drop-off charge. However, I understand that there might be road construction going on.

If we do drive toward Frankfurt the night before, is there a town close to the airport that would be worth exploring?
Old Jun 22nd, 2012, 03:31 PM

I would drop off the car in France and avoid the extra fee. I also would go to Frankfurt the evening before and be near the airport for your flight. I think it's too risky to be as far away as Strasbourg on the same day as your flight.

There are lots of nice hotels in Frankfurt and you can get to the airport in 15 minutes from the main train station. If you stay more toward Romer you can still get to the airport within 30 minutes.

Search here for Frankfurt and you'll find lots of hotel suggestions.
Old Jun 22nd, 2012, 04:51 PM

I think the train from Strasbourg would give you plenty of time. Just check a day or two in advance to make sure the schedule hasn't changed or there aren't any conditions that might delay you. My experience has been that trains are almost always on time within the standard limit (15 minutes or so).
Old Jun 22nd, 2012, 05:18 PM

I would not do it. The key words are "generally on time." Yes, they are - you could even say almost always on time but S happens and you have too much to lose. I would not drive either. I have driven from Strasbourg to the Rhein Main AFB which is contiguous with the Frankfurt airport and it is a good half day drive in good traffic and not a particularly interesting one. If it was me, I would follow adrienne's suggestion and stay the night before near Frankfurt. Wiesbaden is a nice old spa town dating back to Roman days with plenty to keep you occupied for a day - it is not far from Frankfurt at all- you can take a taxi to the airport for far less than what your drop off fee would most likely be, or go by public transportation - and you would have a big enough window to make your flight without added stress.
Old Jun 22nd, 2012, 06:29 PM

Ditto.

Agree with staying closer to Frankfurt than Strasbourg for your last night.
Old Jun 22nd, 2012, 07:08 PM
Original Poster

OK. I guess that we will either get closer to Frankfurt or stay in Frankfurt. If we spend the night in Frankfurt itself, arriving fairly late in the evening, what location/hotel and morning activity do you suggest?

Wiesbaden looks like a 2 1/4 hr. drive from Strasbourg, but the train seems to take longer, with multiple stops. Are there any towns with only one train switch...we'll have luggage.
Old Jun 22nd, 2012, 08:58 PM

We did the opposite train trip to you.
Flying in to Frankfurt and a train to Strasbourg. Changed trains at Karlsruhe. The train times worked like clockwork with no hassels. We loved Strasbourg and spent a week driving around the Alsace region.

But I admit it could be a risk, although there are trains to the airport leaving Strasbourg every hour, of course with a change.

If you are worried then I think you may not enjoy your last night in Strasbourg. I would then train it to Frankfurt the night before and enjoy a walk aroung the city in the morning.