Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Dublin for U2 (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/dublin-for-u2-536521/)

beerden Jun 13th, 2005 08:16 PM

Dublin for U2

I just came into two tickets for the U2 concert next weekend in Dublin. As you can imagine almost all of the city is booked up. Any recommendations on places I could try inside the city that are locally-known gems, or perhaps some B&Bs or hotels in cities in close proximity? Also, do you know any good travel agents or hotels I could look up online? Thank you for your help, I am coming in from the States!

SiobhanP Jun 14th, 2005 03:16 AM

It's going to be tough for accommodation. How many nights are you staying? very little is in close proximity to Craoke Park. I would stay in town and get transport to O'Connell street and then walk which most people will be doing. I live in the city and just walk from there for any events at the stadium. Here are a few places to try:

Aisling Hotel (Best western on park gate street)

O'Neills pub has accommodation on Pearse street Dublin 2

Chief O'Neills hotel, Smithfield D7

Handels Hotel, Fishamble street Dublin 2

Holiday Inn Pearse Street Dublin 2

Jury's IFSC Dublin 1
Doyle Skylon Hotel Drumcondra (will probably be booked out as it's close to the stadium)

Try some B&B's in Clontarf D3 as they are not far.

I would take whatever you can get and the places I reccommended are not what would come up first for most people on searches. Also be wary of B&B's close to the area as A. they will raise the rate and B. It's not a touristy area around the stadium more an inner city area on one side and older area on the other side and not where I would get a B&B if you find one as it would be a dump if it is near ballybough etc (neighborhood beside it).

Also try this newer small hotel on Georges street http://www.graftonguesthouse.com/ its a good price and very central in the city.

Have fun! I am going on Friday myself, can't wait.

beerden Jun 14th, 2005 07:38 PM

Thanks so much for all of your help! I will check all of these out. Have fun on Friday night at the show! We have G.A. tickets for Saturday so I think we will be on the grass, very exciting indeed.

amyb Jun 15th, 2005 05:37 AM

I read several U2 discussion boards, and just yesterday someone got accomodation at the Jury's Inn Christchurch. In fact they were looking for someone to share too. I suggest trying that Jury's on the off chance you could get a room. Otherwise, try U2 boards like interference.com and the Google groups for people looking to share.

Have fun! I've been to Dublin for the last 3 tours and it is just brilliant seeing them at home!

Surfergirl Jun 15th, 2005 05:52 AM

La Stampa is great on Dawson Street, and you might find something at Camden Court Hotels. 2 years ago, we went to Dublin when Robbie Williams was playing and that weekend nearly everything was sold out, but so we had to move from La Stampa to Camden Court where they did have availability.

SiobhanP Jun 15th, 2005 06:17 AM

I thought Jurys would be booked so I did not post it but try everything. Do check out the one on Georges street as I don't think many people know about it yet and the prices are good.

Might see you in a pub on the way in :-).

beerden Jun 16th, 2005 07:05 PM

Thank you everyone! Actually got lucky on Travelocity today. I'm booked at the Mont Clare for the first two nights and the Fitzwilliam on the second two. Anything you know about these hotels? Perhaps we can meet up for a pint one of these nights.

Plates Jun 16th, 2005 11:46 PM

Both are nice hotels - the Fitzwilliam is in a better location (and I used to work there!). Make sure you ask for a room overlooking St. Stephens Green. As far as bars go - avoid the one in the hotel - there's not much of an atmosphere and it's even more expensive than the average city centre pub.