Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Dublin for St. Patrick's - Stay in city center or outskirts?

Oct 9th, 2009, 09:40 PM
Original Poster

I need some input regarding staying near the city center versus staying out a bit further when in Dublin for St. Patrick's in 2010. My friend and I are arriving 3/14 (Sunday) and plan on departing Dublin after the parade on 3/17 (the plan is to get a car at a city or airport site, and drive to our next destination in the country). After doing Tripadvisor, etc., research, there are two places that appeal to me. One is in the Donnybrook area, Donnybrook Hall. This has decent reviews, and I found a deal for $265 US for our 3 nights (w/breakfast). If we stay here, either our walk will be 20-40 min (I've seen both reported) to the city center, or we take a bus for 20 min. At that time of year, I don't know how crazy traffic is for the buses, or crowds for the buses.

The other place I like is the Shelbourne at Stephen's Green. The best deal I found was $706 for 3 nights (no breakfast, but that's ok). The *location* and decent reviews are making me think it's worth paying the extra to get this place.

Not knowing how rainy it might be, how crazy the crowds and traffic might be, I'm thinking I'm willing to pay more to just be able to walk, for the most part, to the sights we want to see. For the parade, we'll have seats in the Westmoreland grandstand. Seems like post-parade, it would be easier to just walk back to the Shelbourne, vs catching a bus back to Donnybrook Hall.

Any advice is welcome! I want to book as soon as possible.
Oct 9th, 2009, 10:43 PM

It sounds like you are talking about a $500 difference, more or less, once breakfast and transportation are both factored in. So that means $250 for each of you and your friend, presumably. It sounds like the only advantage of your choice on the outskirts is price. Although it would pain me to part with an extra $250, it really might be worth it.
Oct 10th, 2009, 11:33 PM

I think the Donnybrook hotel has several upsides, besides the price.

First, it's not really far from the city centre.

Secondly, all that "craziness" is focused on March 17. On the other days, this argument does not really count. For a $500 difference in price, you can ride cabs back and forth to/from your hotel as much as you can. Or take the bus, and save those $500 for your pints. You will need it.

Thirdly, and most important, on 3/17 I'd find it much easier to -worst case scenario- walk back 20min from the parade to Donnybrook (away from the "craziness"), and get a cab to the rental car pick-up location from there than trying to do same from the Shelbourne where it will be probably harder to find a cab even hours after the parade. Many people stay in the central area all day to party, so there will always be a high demand for taxis.
Maybe you can arrange delivery of your rental car to the Donnybrook location.
Oct 11th, 2009, 11:45 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the perspective, Cowboy1968!!
Oct 13th, 2009, 10:17 AM
Original Poster

I could use some more feedback from those who know. A friend from Scotland who's been there for St. Patrick's is pushing for the Shelbourne. Anyone else??
Oct 20th, 2009, 03:41 PM

I was in Dublin earlier this month, walked past the Shelbourne, not only looks lovely, it is in the center of city centre close to everything. Downtown Dublin is very compact, you can easily walk to anywhere you like.
Oct 31st, 2009, 08:23 AM

Having stayed outside Dublin on my trip to Ireland, I would recommend staying closer in. At least, that's what I'll do next time I go. I found myself too tied to bus schedules and not experiencing the fun night life. Definitely need to go back and do over!