Search

Dublin - Fitzwilliam Guesthouse vs Mercer Hotel

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24th, 2005, 07:14 AM
TNT
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dublin - Fitzwilliam Guesthouse vs Mercer Hotel

My wife and I will be staying in Dublin for five days in mid July. I have quotes for Fitzwilliam Guesthouse for 115 euros per night vs 125 for Mercer. Is there a reason to choose one over the other(other than price)?
Thank you.
Old Jan 24th, 2005, 09:21 AM

My husband, my parents and I stayed at The Mercer for 3 nights in Oct. 2004 and were very happy there. The location is PERFECT, just a block from Grafton Street, St. Stephens Green and a short walk to Trinity College. I don't know where the Fitzwilliam is, but you can't go wrong with The Mercer. We had no complaints and would stay there again in a heartbeat.
Old Jan 25th, 2005, 07:12 AM
TNT
Original Poster

Thank you for your response Claire.

I have been able to find other positive comments about the Mercer, but have come up dry on the Fitzwilliam Guesthouse. I have emailed the Fitwilliam and they have dropped the rate to 105 euros, but without any positive feedback I think I will have to go with the Mercer.
Old Jan 26th, 2005, 07:12 AM

Honestly the area is fine arounbd the Fitzwilliam and possibly quieter. There used to be several small hotels in Georgian buildings there but many have disappeared and been replaced by offices. I would not discount this place. Did you check tripadvisor?
Old Jan 26th, 2005, 10:50 AM

I checked TripAdvisor and no one has yet posted about FitzWilliam Guesthouse.

Just from reading about it I tried to convince my dad to stay there when he visited Ireland back in 2001. He got mixed up though and ended up at the FitzWilliam Hotel across from St Stephen's Green (which was a nice hotel, reasonably priced and well located, I might add.) I'd pick a Guesthouse over a hotel most days of the week but since you are getting a good deal and can be right in the thick of it in Dublin you may was well go with Mercer. If it's ambiance you want, I'd go with FitzWilliam Guesthouse.

(Either way, you have to come back and tell us all how it was! Pleeeease! [-o< )

Cheers,

Wendy