Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Dublin Airport - Evening Flight - Traffic, Security, Etc

Old Jun 20th, 2006, 08:51 AM
Original Poster

Hello all...we have an 8:40 PM flight out of Dublin Airport tomorrow night, and want to spend every possible minute we can in Dublin before we leave. How much time do we need to allow for traffic and going through security at the airport (we will be checking luggage). We will be grabbing a taxi around St Stephens Green.

Thanks!
Old Jun 20th, 2006, 09:22 AM

If it's a long-haul flight I believe you should be at the airport 2 hours before take-off. So I reckon if you get a taxi at 6pm from Stephen's Green you'll be OK (or 5.30pm to be on the safe side seeing as it'll be rush hour). Shame the weather hasn't been great the last few days! Enjoy your last day here!
Old Jun 20th, 2006, 09:40 AM
Original Poster

Actually its just a short flight (from Dublin to Southampton, England). Maybe that gives us a little more time?
Old Jun 21st, 2006, 05:48 AM

Yes it should give you an extra hour. In fact you only need to be at the check-in 40 minutes before, but leave an hour to be on the safe side! Leaving Stephens Green by taxi at 6pm should be plenty of time.
Old Jun 21st, 2006, 05:54 AM

It won't be bad traffic wise but always be early just in case. You can have a snack/dinner and a drink while waiting. The airport is a mad house at 5-9am (I still can't get over the crowds that early!) and better in the evenings.
Old Jun 21st, 2006, 06:19 AM

DUB gets quiet after about 6.30 pm, when there are usually no more long-haul flights and most are short-haul to UK or continental Europe. While an hour before departure is plenty of time for check-in, I try to arrive around 90 min before. Security can get busy, while everyone has to take their jackets and shoes off, but allow 15-20 min. Anna Livia lounge (free access for Diners Club cardholders) closes at 7 pm. By the time your flight leaves, airport will look pretty deserted.
I'd allow around 45 min for your taxi journey from Dublin centre. So no later than 6 pm.