Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Dual Citizenship ~ Passport (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/dual-citizenship-passport-981339/)

Isabella36 Jun 11th, 2013 10:07 AM

Dual Citizenship ~ Passport

I will be traveling to Italy this summer, as well as to Portugal, Spain, & France. I have dual citizenship (Canadian/Italian), which I received last year. I decided to use my Italian passport b/c of the benefits included, but wondered whether I need to have my Canadian passport with me when going through Customs at Toronto Pearson airport?
Thanks. Smile

Myer Jun 11th, 2013 10:27 AM

I believe you're always better of having a local passport because then you cannot be denied entry. You could be delayed but not denied.

kerouac Jun 11th, 2013 10:29 AM

It is best to enter Europe on an European passport and enter Canada on a Canadian passport. In fact, if Canada has similar rules to the United States, you <b>must</b> enter Canada using that passport.

StCirq Jun 11th, 2013 10:40 AM

That's what I do when traveling to Europe - enter Europe with my European passport and enter the USA with my U.S. passport.

Cathinjoetown Jun 11th, 2013 11:13 AM

As St Cirq, husband does the same, UK passport in Europe, U.S. when entering the States.

stellamarina Jun 11th, 2013 11:19 AM

Ditto everyone. Entered EU with my Italian passport, back to US with my US passport. It's required as kerouac mentioned. I believe it would be quite the hassle to travel without your Canadian passport to get back home.

amer_can Jun 11th, 2013 01:04 PM

I always carry my Can and US pp with me..When I return through the US it is sometimes easier to use the US if stopping. They do know of course that you have more than 1 if dual US/Can..

jamikins Jun 11th, 2013 01:42 PM

We have travelled back to Canada without my cdn passport and was told to always bring it with me. They let us back into Canada for our two week trip, but now we always travel back with both, uk to get back into the uk and the cdn one to get back into Canada.

Isabella36 Jun 12th, 2013 09:23 AM

I will renew my Canadian passport so I have it. I didn't think it would be a problem since I have my dual citizenship, and a passport to show this. My mom travels with her Italian passport and I thought that I would be fine but will bring it just in case. Thanks.

kismetchimera Jun 12th, 2013 09:29 AM

Worrying about one passport is enough for me.I use the US on my European travels.

thursdaysd Jun 12th, 2013 09:48 AM

I don't how the Canadian authorities feel about admitting Italians, but if you were trying to enter the US on an Italian passport you would need to have registered with the visa waiver program and you would only be admitted for 90 days. You have to show your (valid) US passport to prove you are a US citizen.

Whether I use my US or UK passport after I have left the US (I leave on my US passport) depends on where I'm traveling. I certainly use my UK pasport in Europe! Why would I volunteer to stand in a longer line, and be limited in how long I can stay, when I don't have to?