Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Dry Ireland? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/dry-ireland-88538/)

April Oct 2nd, 2000 08:25 AM

Dry Ireland?

Hi - I want to start planning my next vacation and I want to travel to Ireland. Anyone know the least rainy month to go? Thanks for your help.

Debbie Oct 2nd, 2000 10:20 AM

April <BR> Good luck finding a less-rainy month. <BR> <BR>For more information, be sure to visit <BR> irelandexpert.com - Pat Preston's site - she offers great suggestions for itineraries and will answer specific questions. <BR> <BR>also check into Karenbrown.com she has a great reputation for reccommending good places to stay. <BR> <BR>I am going over for 9 days in November, I will be sure to post my findings when I get back. <BR> <BR>Good luck <BR>Debbie

Anne Oct 2nd, 2000 10:27 AM

I've been to Ireland four times, at various times of the year. There is never a guarantee that you won't have rain. You just never know. I think the weather turns fairly quickly, though, something to do with the sea winds blowing across the island. At any rate, the nicest time of the year is obviously summer but it's more crowded then with tourists, as it is everywhere else. Personally, I think any time is a great time to go to Ireland. Especially the absolutely breathtaking west coast. If you plan to drive around the countryside bring your "wellies" or some totes, you'll be glad of them if you want to walk through a muddy field. Trust me on this one. If you're not going to be in the country just bring a raincoat, a warm one in fall/winter, a lighter one in summer, and remember that nobody goes to Ireland for the great weather. The Irish are some of the friendliest and most hospitable people I've ever encountered. The sun shines in their faces year round. That may sound corny but I swear it's true. Have a great time!

irish Oct 2nd, 2000 10:28 AM

April: <BR>The Irish say it only rains Twice a Year--6 months at a time!!! The Summer months seem to be the best time for dry weather. But we don't go to Ireland for the weather, do we? Have fun.

Julie Oct 2nd, 2000 10:29 AM

Went for 2 weeks in August and only had rain on three days. One afternoon got a 20 minute shower in Dublin, a night in Galway another 20 minute shower and another day while driving in County Clare it rained at various times but not all day by any means. The temperature was also much warmer than I had been lead to believe - during August it was in the mid 70s multiple days.

Cathy Oct 2nd, 2000 10:54 AM

April, <BR>I live in Ireland and if there is a non-rainy time of the year well I have missed it. Last yearept was a beautiful dry month and this year I thought I would have to design Noak's Ark all over again to cope with the downpours. Best bet is to cope with the weather whatever way it falls and fall it will. May through to August tend to be a safe bet but then there have been very wet summers too. This probably doesn't help at all but if I can be of any further assistance then do post, <BR> <BR>Cathy <BR> <BR>PS For a list of apporved accommodation without any commericalism then check out the official web site of the Irish Tourist Board at www.ireland.travel.ie

Jim Oct 2nd, 2000 10:55 AM

Phew! I was worried you meant an alcohol-free Ireland. <BR> <BR>Best months for a chance at less than constant rain are June and October. But, as always in Ireland with everything weather and non-weather related, there are no guarantees. I prefer early October, as there are a lot fewer tourists, both American and European, as the European kids have finally gone back to school. And the weather often is pleasant (pleasant for Ireland--you'll still need a jacket).

Anne Oct 2nd, 2000 11:10 AM

Jim, I thought the same thing! Dry Ireland? Perish the thought, lush that I am!

Linda Oct 2nd, 2000 02:29 PM

We were in Ireland June 27- July 8 and had the most glorious weather. It rained for half a day and the rest of the time dry. The air is cool, the clouds seem to be resting on your head at times, but it only makes the scenery more spectacular. The aqua sea, multi-colored green fields,and large, fluffy white clouds...beautiful. We were able to wear light weight clothes and a jacket or sweater in the evenings. Remember the island is very north...dusk is around 9:30.

judy Oct 2nd, 2000 03:24 PM

Hi April, Thought you meant no alcohol in Ireland, aacckk!!!,,,would have had to change trip!!!!We think we will be going in July. I checked out 12 guidebooks today from the library, and I am ready, I hope! One thing I did find out from all of them, is do not count on the weather!!!! So, with that in mind.....we will be flexible...and thanks Cathy, you are a dear for helping... Judy

Ann Oct 3rd, 2000 10:49 AM

Linda--unfortunately, you only get those nice bright nights in the summer. In the winter, it starts to get dark in the northern parts of Ireland as early as 3:30. Of course, we also get those nights where it's still light at 10:30 in July.