Search

Drving from Zurich to Munich in the winter

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26th, 2006, 06:02 PM
kr
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drving from Zurich to Munich in the winter

I will be doing a drive from Zurich to munich, Vienna, Saltzburg, some ski area and back to Zurich xmas week thru new years..

Does anyone know if the driving will be suicide through the mountains if it snows? or maybe there are main roads I can drive on that wouldnt be as hazardess. Family of 5 so the trains would be way to costly so I am going to rent a mini van.

Thanks
Old Jul 27th, 2006, 01:34 AM

First: to most places you mentioned (except the unspecified ski area, possibly) you simply take the autobahn. There is nothing insane about using it in winter - it is simply boring 4 or 6 lanes all the way.
As to the train tickets - you do know that in Germany and Austria children up to 14 can travel for free if accompanied by parents?
Old Jul 27th, 2006, 02:04 AM

I would tend to stick with the trains, I have gotten into bad weather in Switzerland around the Christmas holidays...an evil necessity as we live in Italy but have family in Germany. Trust me, bad weather in the Alps ain't fun. It can be a real mess. Despite any higher cost, the trip is much more relaxing in the winter by train.
Old Jul 27th, 2006, 02:08 AM

If you do decide to rent a Mini Van when you book request snow chains. Don't accept the van without them.
Old Jul 27th, 2006, 09:12 AM
kr
Original Poster

Thanks the 2 kids are 15 and 17 and my other one is 10, so trains will be way to expensive for what I am tring to do.

I havent picked out a ski area yet, I could always do Ischgl or St Anton, but I am looking for a new place maybe Garmisch.

But main roads would be fine and than the path to thge ski resort should also be Ok. I have driven in the alps around st moritz in heavy snow on those james bond type mountain roads, not fun.