Drugs in Europe

May 6th, 2001, 05:22 PM
Warren

Drugs in Europe

Are drugs such as mushrooms and marijuana, regarded as acceptable in European countries outside of the Netherlands, and are they as easy to get? Peace

May 6th, 2001, 08:35 PM
Sjoerd

Hope this post is not censored away! "Soft" drugs such as marihuana and Hashish are tolerated (not technically legal) in the Netherlands, Belgium, Switzerland, parts of Germany and Spain.
www.ricksteves.com/graffiti have a good thread on marihuana in Europe.

May 7th, 2001, 12:07 AM
xx

Mushrooms are sold in shops which sell "smart drugs" in Holland.They are illegal in the UK but as they grow wild there prosecutions are rare.Attitudes to this & cannabis vary very widely by country & age group.In Holland it it not acceptable to smoke cannabis in most bars/cafes.Most of Europe seems to be heading slowly away from prohibition, but nobody want outright legalisation, so various forms of "decriminalisation" are in force.Prosecutions are rare in the UK, the police mostly turn a blind eye to soft drugs.

May 7th, 2001, 04:13 AM

No, they are not as easy to get or as acceptable as in Holland.

May 7th, 2001, 11:35 AM
Sammy

Warren:

I have friends who have been to Holland and had a pretty simple time getting ANY kind of drug.

But I am curious, where are all of the evil, self-righteous posters? Usually, when someone asks a drug question, they are attacked my the pack of wild dogs. All I see here are answers to his question! Perhaps you're evolving.

May 7th, 2001, 11:46 AM
A Day at a Time

No, we're just weary and have decided to have faith in social Darwinism.

May 7th, 2001, 03:09 PM
wanderer

no sammy we are still here and wish anyone wishing drug info take it to lp.com. you will find plenty of company there-all kinds of jerks and freaks

May 8th, 2001, 10:12 AM
Eurzulie

Listen, I will be visiting for 7 hours en route to another destination, but I would like to know what the deal is concerning buying and smoking marijuana in Amsterdam? I understand there are menus to order from...will someone fill me in? I am not a drug addict, just a menopausal, older mari-smoking female that may need a little assistance in keeping the "flashes" at ease.

May 8th, 2001, 03:50 PM
disgusted

eurlizy since this is your second siste with the same question who the hell are you trying to kid us or yourself. you are so hot to trot for drugs with the feeble excuse of hot flashes, you dont fool anyone. you are just another druggie with a new line of bullshit

Feb 13th, 2007, 07:27 AM

im just adding to this post so i can refer back to it. going to germany in 3 weeks. curious about getting 'things'. heard bavaria is harsh though so might decide not to.
Feb 13th, 2007, 07:35 AM
lawchick

"The towns, the towns!"

Feb 13th, 2007, 07:46 AM

As my liberal friends who live in Cologne keep telling me, "Munich is the buckle on the German Bible Belt."
Feb 13th, 2007, 08:14 AM
MaureenB

In European cities we've visited, I don't think we ever smelled marijuana in the air, except once in London. But in Amsterdam, you smell it everywhere. Especially outside the coffee shop doorways, obviously. Inside these shops, they sell marijuana in varying strengths and amounts, to be consumed on premises or in your own home. It's like a bar, where you're selecting the beer you want. Leaving Amsterdam, they are very strict at the airport, and search luggage carefully for contraband.
>-

Feb 13th, 2007, 08:18 AM

Maureen, we smelled mj several times while in Italy this autumn. (I could work for a security company, my sense of smell is so keen!)

That said, I wouldn't mess with mj or hash while travelling anywhere but in Amsterdam, and even then I'd be cautious. I don't care how old or how young you are, how short or how long your hair, or how straight-arrow an impression you make. Just not worth the risk. Maybe I've watched 'Midnight Express' too many times, but I'm also just not interested in having to deal with a legal system not my own.
Feb 13th, 2007, 08:20 AM
ira

HI E,

>I will be visiting for 7 hours en route to another destination, but I would like to know what the deal is concerning buying and smoking marijuana in Amsterdam? <

DON'T try to bring any back on the plane or to another country.

Feb 13th, 2007, 08:34 AM

You don't have to smoke marijuana or hashish in Amsterdam. They are available in bon bons and "space muffins".
Feb 13th, 2007, 10:29 AM

I would think smoking would make hot flashes stronger. Iced cappuccino works for me. And people walk down the streets in Switzerland smoking pot all the time. You're allowed to have it for your own use but not to sell it. So I have no idea how people get it.
Feb 13th, 2007, 10:46 AM

netherlands is obvious, and that small town in denmark. I was in Friberg(frieberg?) switerland and randomly found a shop w/o even looking. It's never a priority on trips, but always fun to have for one evening. I hear Passau is the town to go if you are looking in bavaria...but i wont hunt for it by going out of my way. curious about munich.
Feb 13th, 2007, 10:47 AM

oh and 'lawchick'; what do you mean the towns?
Feb 13th, 2007, 11:27 AM

In Amsterdam marijuana and hash are legal in the "coffee shops." We went to a really nice one--Blue something ? (can't remember the name...wonder why!) and because I didn't want to deal with "getting lost", we took a piece of "cake" back to our room. I had 1/4 piece and was "flying", DH ate the rest and didn't feel a thing.

DD was in Italy for 6 months and she claims they're really not all that liberal about drugs there, but I've heard that they're very liberal about it in Spain, though I've never smoked there (seems I'm really naturally high whenever I'm there), but others might know more about this.

Just keep in mind that some of the pot and hash in Amsterdam may be stronger than what you're used to.

Have a great trip! (And that is intended as a pun )

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO