Thanks again to all those who have already responded to my questions regarding the trip that my husband and I are taking to Italy in May (5-22). We are leaving Rome on the 14th to go to Tuscany. My thought was that we could take the train to Orvieto, spend a few hours in town and then pick up the rental car and drive to our B&B (ended up being near Buonoconvento). We are planning to travel from Tuscany to Geneva on May 20th to spend a day before we catch our plane back home.
My questions are:
- Should we just plan to drive back to Orvieto, drop the car and take the train on through Florence, Milan and to Geneva?
- Should we try and drop the car in Buonconvento (are drop fees as expensive as I imagine them to be?) and take the train from there to Florence and onward?
- Should we scrap Orvieto altogether, take the train from Rome to Buonoconvento and rent a car there? I had heard that there was not a ton of supply of rental cars there but if it makes the most sense, we could give that a whirl.
Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.
Thanks so much!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Looking for Paris Rental Apt.
- 2 Getting to FCO from Rome
- 3 First time italy, 12 nights. What to do
- 4 Order of Amalfi visit in October
- 5 10 Days in May: Switzerland Itinerary Help
- 6 Drive from Paris to Mont St Michael
- 7 Italy: Hotels on the Amalfi Coast; Orvieto; Perugia; Florence; and Siena
- 8 Easter Week in Italy
- 9 Moscow Hotels
- 10 Rome Hotel
- 11 Four Nights in Nice--What should we do?
- 12 Getting around Lisbon
- 13 Lisbon stay - Olissippo Lapa Palace vs NH Collection Lisboa Liberdade
- 14 Greece -- Alternative to Athens
- 15 Overwhelmed with planning! Need help from Italy experts.
- 16 1st Birthday Party in Italy questions
- 17 London: Stunning New American Embassy
- 18 Trains - website?
- 19 Winter ... UK Finland Sweden. (Live...ish)
- 20 Spain.... 2.5 Weeks... Need Help!
- 21 Paris November 2017
- 22 X-mas Eve dinner in Rome
- 23 Spain in 2018
- 24 Can only visit one (maybe two) cities. Which one?
- 25 Planning a Trip from DC to Anywhere in Europe (Budget Friendly)
Dropping the rental car and catching a train...any suggestions?