COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Dropping rental car in Paris

Old Aug 16th, 2000, 07:03 PM
Kris

Dropping rental car in Paris

We are renting a car in Brussels, driving around Normandy for several days and then heading to Paris. My choices are to drop the car at Roissy, Orly, Porte Maillot rail station, Gare du Nord, or Gare de Lyon. We will be staying at the Hotel Muguet in Paris. Right now I'm booked to drop the car at Gare du Nord, will I be regretting this on a Thursday afternoon in the middle of Sept? What's the best way into Gare du Nord coming from Giverny? Thanks for any advice, I'm nervous about driving in Paris.

Old Aug 17th, 2000, 05:48 AM
herself

Driving from Giverny to Roissy is very easy. You can take a train, shuttle or cab to your destination from Roissy. As for road direction try www.iti.fr/
Have fun.

Old Aug 17th, 2000, 12:27 PM
Deborah

If you are nervous about driving in Paris (it really is not that bad! If you have driven in a city of any size you will not be overwhelmed)I would drop the car at the airport and take a taxi or shuttle from there. The challenge can be finding WHERE to drop the car off once you get to the airport as it is not very well marked (at CDG anyway) Just keep asking for directions of the airport police as you circle around. You will eventually end up on the bottom level of the airport to your left as you circle around. All of the rental dropoffs are clearly marked. You will probably have to drop the car then take take your paperwork upstairs inside the airport. This means taking an escalator so a luggage cart is useless. After taking care of business you will then go to another level and outside to get a cab or to wait for a shuttle, which you must reserve, unless you take the bus that will take you into central Paris.

But if you do not want to drive into Paris this is probably your best bet. Hope this is helpful!

Old Aug 17th, 2000, 03:40 PM
Bob

We rented from Hertz on our trip last month. Drove from CDG to Normandy for a few days and then into Paris. I discovered that Hertz would pick up your rental car at your hotel if it was close enough to one of their many locations in Paris. I simply gave the keys to the bellman at our hotel and he called Hertz. Very smooth. Check with your hotel and car rental company.

I considered the shuttle recommendation from above poster but decided against as you have to go to airport, unload baggage, load baggage back on shuttle and then pay to get to your hotel when you already paid for a perfectly good car. We decided it was much easier to drive to hotel and drop all bags, then get rid of the car. Fortunately, Hertz handled it great.

I did not find driving in Paris that bad just getting to our hotel. After that, forget it. Public transportation quicker and easier.

Old Aug 18th, 2000, 05:38 AM
Kris

Thanks for the advice, I think we'll stick to the plan and drop the car off at the Gare du Nord. I had visions of driving endlessly around the roundabout at Champs Elysses (very amusing to watch from the top of the Arc de Triomphe), but I assume we can avoid central Paris if we locate a good street map. Since we're picking up in Brussels and dropping in Paris, most of the rental companies have stiff drop off fees, doubling (Hertz, Avis)the quote I received from Alamo. Auto Europe actually came back the highest. I've rented from Alamo in the US with no problems, I assume they are OK to use in Europe as well.