Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Dropping prices expected in England with a dire world economy?

Feb 19th, 2009, 05:43 PM
Original Poster

I'm going to be spending a few nights in Bath in June, but I've held off booking accommodation because the b&bs are so costly. I'm wondering if they'll drop their prices with fewer travellers visiting. The downside is that I probably won't get to be choosey if I wait.
Does anyone have any opinions on the potential of dropping prices? I have been checking websites regularly to find specials. Any other strategies?
Feb 19th, 2009, 08:24 PM

Actually - I seriously doubt rates will go down much if any at all. Because of the financial "situation", my guess is more British folks will holiday domestically and fewer will go to resorts in Spain, Florida, Turkey - wherever. So places like the SW, Cotswolds, Lake District, etc will possibly be even more crowded than "normal".

The concept of "staycation" applies just as much in the UK as in the States . . . . .
Feb 19th, 2009, 08:59 PM

Prices will drop all over as businesses deal with people having less money. However, you will have less money and won't want to spend as much. There will be a lot more people taking vacations closer to home. If I did not have a home exchange in Finland next summer, no way I would be going to Europe this year. I would be vacationing closer to home. However, home exchanging means I don't pay for a hotel (except for an occasional overnight out), so the vacation can be almost as inexpensive as going to somewhere a couple of hours from my home and paying for a hotel or rental property. It is the hotels that run the price of the trip up--not the airfares.

No one has any idea about the exchange rates right now as there is no safe currency in which to put your money. No one knows where to go to protect his money from just, well, disappearing. I have lost almost a 1/3 of my pension plan money as has most of everyone else and it does affect the way you live (especially since I am one of those close to retirement). Going to work a little longer before retiring because I have to.
Feb 19th, 2009, 09:52 PM

I wouldn't bet on prices dropping - not only will there be more British folk holidaying at home, you'll also have a lot more European folk coming over because of the change in exchange rates
Feb 19th, 2009, 09:56 PM

I wouldn't bank on it.

Forecasting anything at present is difficult. But, with the strongly devalued, Britain's become a great deal cheaper for the 500 milion people on our eastern borders - and as previous posters have mentioned, foreign travel's got pricier for us, so there'll be some switching to domestic tourism.

Europe's social safety blankets make the recession less traumatic for many people than it is in the US - and B&Bs rarely compete on price much anyway.

No-one can give you a particularly reliable answer. It depends on how much of a gambler you are.

In your position, I wouldn't be playing crystal ball games: I'd be asking how likely it's ever been to have trouble finding your kind of accommodation around Bath in June booking lateish.

Is it ever a problem? I've got no idea: have you?
Feb 20th, 2009, 04:33 AM

B&Bs in Bath in the summer period dropping their prices? Well I wouldn't bet on it. Some of the hotel chains may drop down to match them by then but no not likly
Feb 20th, 2009, 06:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone. Good advice. I'll take it and book right away.
Cheers