Dropping off rental car at Gatwick

Mar 16th, 2007, 01:08 AM
Original Poster

Dropping off rental car at Gatwick

We are not familiar with Gatwick Airport so would appreciate if someone could advise how much time we need to allow for dropping off a Hertz rental car, completing any neceessary paperwork etc. We will be flying BA to Venice from North terminal, is this walking distance from the car drop off point or a shuttle bus ride?
Thanks.
Mar 16th, 2007, 07:02 AM

ttt
Mar 16th, 2007, 07:45 AM

Shuttle bus. It should be reasonably efficient. It shouldn't take any longer than it would to drop a car off in Dallas or Chicago or any other major city airport.
Mar 16th, 2007, 12:23 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the response.
We've hired a car in the US on a couple of occasions and found drop off to be quick and efficient, however am I right in thinking that in the UK they check for damage etc at drop off.
Could anybody give me a timeframe for drop off, and getting to north terminal to check in, should we allow 30 minutes, less or more?????? We have to check in by 8 am and will be driving from Essex partly on the M25, trying to decide if it would be less stress free to overnight in a B&B somewhere close to Gatwick.
Thanks.
Mar 16th, 2007, 12:29 PM

I personally would not drive from Essex to LGW for an 8:00 a.m. check in. You would be on the road before the really heavy traffic - but it is a fairly long way and "things" happen. Me personally - I'd drive to LGW the night before, turn in the car and stay near the airport.

(actually what I'd REALLY probably do is turn in the car in Essex and go into London by train for the last night - I always enjoy spending my last night in London. But if that doesn't appeal - then I'd definitely go to LGW the night before)
Mar 16th, 2007, 07:25 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Janis for your input.

We will have been staying with my brother-in-law near Basildon, he reckons if we are on the road by 5.30am it should be no problem, via michelin says 1hr. 5mins.,its the M25 that gets me worried and the time factor involved in dropping the car off. Maybe we should start thinking more seriously about a B&B near Gatwick, didn't really want to spend the money!! Decisions, decisions.
Mar 16th, 2007, 07:43 PM

From Basildon the drive wouldn't be horrible - and your B-I-L is probably right about the timing. It mostly depends on how many "what if's" you can comfortable bear

If budget is an issue (and when is it not) you could PriceLine a Gatwick hotel. check out biddingfortravel.com for an idea. You can probably get a 4 star place for around $75 give or take.
Mar 17th, 2007, 07:50 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again Janis.

I'm amazed how little response this message has had, somebody on this board at sometime MUST have dropped off a rental car at Gatwick before a flight!!!!!!!!
Mar 17th, 2007, 08:41 PM

Actually, we have dropped a car off at Gatwick before a flight back to Canada. When we looked at the logistics of dropping off a car and arriving in time for an 8:00 am flight, we stayed at an airport hotel.
We were flying at 8:00, not checking in at 8:00.
Mar 17th, 2007, 09:49 PM

OK this is my proposal, drive there the night before drop off the car and stay at the Hilton Hotel and next morning it is a 3 minute walk to the terminal. We did this last month when going on holiday.
Mar 18th, 2007, 03:45 AM

I have found it convenient to turn the car in the evening before flight time, and spend my final night at the Gatwick Hilton.