Reload this Page >

Driving York-Edinburgh: How long?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3rd, 2001, 05:06 PM
Pam

How long does it take to drive from York to Edinburgh? I will want to make a number of stops and probably detours along the way, but I'd like to get an idea of how long a drive it is. Thanks

Old Jun 3rd, 2001, 05:15 PM
Beth Anderson

Hi <BR> <BR>It is not very far, from what I recall - but I can't give an exact - it's been years. I want to say a few hours straight through, tops. Sorry I can't be more specific. <BR> <BR>When I made this drive, I left Edinburgh around maybe 930 AM, stopped at the Scottish border for a gander, stopped at Hadrian's wall for some sightseeing, stopped at one other place - and still got into York when it was still light out - before dinner even I think. Had I gone straight through I do not think it would have taken long at all though...

Old Jun 3rd, 2001, 05:18 PM
MrsRon

Hi, Pam. I feel like a wealth of information today! Ron and I just got back from 2 weeks in Scotland and England today. Arrived in Glasgow and rented a car. After a few days in Glasgow we drove to Edinburgh. From Edinburgh we drove to York. It took about 6 hours. Distance was about 200 miles but many the roads are very, very narrow and winding. Get a good road atlas. We had a AAA Britian Road Atlas and it was worth it's weight in gold, believe it! <BR>Have a great trip. <BR>Mrs. Ron

Old Jun 3rd, 2001, 06:28 PM
Jack

Pam: <BR>On Sunday, May 27th we toured Edinburgh Castle, left around 2:00 in the afternoon and drove to Thirsk (about 25 miles from York, arriving around 6:15 PM. We didn't sightsee along the way, but did manage to get lost in Berwick-Upon-Tweed after turning the wrong way out of a gas station. We took the coast road (A1) it was not the least bit narrow and winding, in fact it was four lane most of the way. We chose Thirsk to visit because it's the "Darrowby" of the James Herriot books. We stayed in a great B&B only a few doors away from the original vet clinic. If interested, the B&B is called the Kirkgate Hotel. I highly recommend it.

Old Jun 4th, 2001, 01:05 PM
t

top 4 pam