Driving vs Europass, Size of Rental Cars

Old Feb 20th, 2007, 02:18 PM
jkc
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driving vs Europass, Size of Rental Cars

Hello All
I'll be taking a trip to Italy (Rome, Florence, Venice, Milan) in June with a couple of friends. I was debating which of the two forms of transport would give us the most for our money and time, driving or rail? I know that driving would take twice as long but would we miss out on the scenery if we took the train? I've been using mapquest.com and viamichelin.com for driving directions between cities. Are these sites reliable? or should I invest in a road map of Italy? According to the sites, the duration between cities averaged about 3.5 hours, is this realistic or should I add 1-2 hours on top of that? Also, does anyone know the going rate of gas in Italy?

I've also been researching for rental cars in Italy through Hertz, Avis, AutoEurope, Maggiore. I was just wondering about the size of these cars. I've been to europe before and I seem to remember that their cars were somewhat smaller than in the US. Would an 'intermediate' or 'economy' sized car fit 3 people and 3 large luggages?

I know this is a lot of questions but any info/advice you might impart would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
J
Old Feb 20th, 2007, 03:17 PM

In Germany we reserved a compact car and it was a VW Golf. For 2 people, it was enough room to have everything stowed in the trunk, out of sight. With 3 people, some luggage would have to go on the back seat.
Old Feb 20th, 2007, 04:54 PM

Are you just going to these cities? If so, you won't want to drive in the cities, and you'll need to add the cost of parking a car to your rental expense as well as gas at approximately $5/gallon. (And remember you're required to buy insurance when renting a car in Italy.)

I think you'd be better off on the train. Fares are pretty cheap in Italy, and you can sightsee from the train. In fact, then everybody can see, not just the non-driver non-navigator. I love sitting on the train in comfort and space and having the scenery go by.
Old Feb 20th, 2007, 04:59 PM

If you're just going to spend all your time in cities train travel makes the most sense. (If you just drive from one to another on the main highways it won;t be that different from doing the same in the US.)

If you also want to visit some of the smaller towns and explore local sights/roads - then renting a car makes more sense.

And yes- european cars are sized differently. For 3 people with luggage I wouldn't go for anything smaller than intermediate. Also - realize that if you go for automatic transmission engine size can be a big issue - since those in europe are often smaller than those in the same cars in the US. (We rented a Mercedes - C class granted - for 4 people - and it had practically no pick up to get on the highway - in comparison to my own sporty sub-compact at home).
Old Feb 20th, 2007, 06:10 PM
jkc
Original Poster

Thank you all! Yes, we're definitely planning on seeing smaller towns along the way, especially in Tuscany. We've also just added Naples to the list of places we want to see and we'll probably just drive thru Milan and head to Belagio/Lake Como to stay. Does anyone know of a clean and decently priced hotel in the Lake Como area?

I have another question regarding Venice. I just read in a guide book that cars are not allowed in Venice. Is this true? If so, where can we leave the car safely for a couple of days while we're there?

Old Feb 20th, 2007, 06:34 PM

I think a combination would work best for you. Gas is very expensive, and you really don't want to try to drive, or park, in the cities, or pay for a rental car during your city stays. I suggest you start in Rome, take the train from thee to Florence, spend a few days, then pick up a rental car to tour the Tuscan countryside and small towns. Turn the car in, train to Milan and Como (try Varenna), then to Venice. Fly out of Venice.

I've left off Naples because I don't know how much time you have, and it seems to be a bit out of your way. If you spend 3 nights each in the cities, and 4 touring Tuscany, that alone is a 16-day trip, with flights it is 18. Unless you have a lot more time than that, I'd stick with those rather than heading south.
Old Feb 20th, 2007, 06:45 PM

Yes, there are no cars in Venice and that's one of its great charms. There are parking facilities just outside Venice and on the mainland close to Venice.

If you're going into small towns, get as small a car as you'll fit into. Streets are very narrow -- like fold in your side mirrors narrow. Bigger cars are harder to maneuver and you may have to park on the outside and walk in.

Maybe a combination of car and train would work best for you.
Old Feb 20th, 2007, 08:33 PM
jkc
Original Poster

Thanks again. I'll definitely consider the combination of the two.
Going back to what nytraveler said about the automatic transmissioned cars...does that mean that the automatics are less efficient on the road? meaning, do I get less mileage for my money? None of us have driven a manual so it might not be a good idea to start learning in italy
Old Feb 21st, 2007, 07:30 AM
ira

Hi jk,

There are no roads in Venice; only canals.

What's your planned itinerary?

How long do you have?

Old Feb 21st, 2007, 08:02 AM

Automatice transmission cars are more expensive to rent. I think nytraveler was referring to lack of "pick-up", or acceleration, with a small-engine AT car. Gas mileage is another issue.

But if you've never driven a manual, Italy is not the place to start.
Old Feb 21st, 2007, 08:26 AM
jkc
Original Poster

Itinerary:
Flying into Rome and spend a few days there
Rent a car, drive to Naples - another couple of days
Drive to Florence and visit smaller towns and Pisa (I know Naples is out of the way since we'll be going south and heading north again, but Naples was a last minute addition)
From Florence, drive to Venice and most probably leave the car at a garage outside of town as suggested
Drive towards Milan. We'll be staying in Lake Como most of the time.
ANY HELP ON ACCOMODATIONS IN LAKE COMO WOULD BE GREAT....
We'll drop off the car in Milan and head back to the US.

We've accounted to enough time in each city/town including driving time so I think we're good there.
Old Feb 21st, 2007, 08:31 AM

In Rome, Florence and Venice cars are a liability - not because of the idiot drivers but because most of these cities have made their centres off limits to most vehicles. Parking near your hotel could be impossible.
Cars are great for doing the hill towns on Tuscany but for cities ditch the car and take the train. Even if parking is found is could well cost you $30/day or so and you can't safely leave anything in your car.
Old Feb 21st, 2007, 08:32 AM
jkc
Original Poster

Another question....

Would we need an international driver's license? I read somewhere that we don't but if we get pulled over by the police, knock on wood, things would run more smoothly if we did have an int'l license. Any advice?

Thanks again.
Old Feb 21st, 2007, 08:43 AM

This has been discussed ad naseum in this forum so just search for International Drivers License, which many say are not needed and many never get others dispute this.
Old Feb 21st, 2007, 08:47 AM

You need a International Driver's Permit when driving in Italy.

During my last trip, I was asked to show it by:

- Hertz rental agent at PMO
- Police checkpoint just outside Agrigento

You're going to save a lot of trouble by having it, if you're going to Italy. It just varies country by country. UK and France and many others, not necessary.
Old Feb 21st, 2007, 08:50 AM

I think technically you need, in Italy, a translation of your license into Italian and the International License fulfills this as it seems would any officially noted translation.
Old Feb 21st, 2007, 08:55 AM

IDPs are very simple to get. Go to AAA, give them about $20, they take your picture and make one up for you.
Old Feb 21st, 2007, 09:53 AM
jkc
Original Poster

Thanks!!
Old Feb 21st, 2007, 10:57 AM

You also need t look into the insurance requirements for rental cars. As I recall, you are not allowed to decline the CDW coverage--it is mandatory, even if you have it through other sources (credit card, etc.) This will add more expense. You may also have a drop charge on the car. And there are toll fees if you use the Autostrada.

You really need to reconsider this idea of driving evrywhere. There is no place to park in the cities. A car in Rome, Florence, or Naples is, as PalenQ said, a serious liability. The only place you will want a car is driving around Tuscany. Even there, you could get almost everywhere by train, but a car is definitely more convenient.
Old Feb 21st, 2007, 05:25 PM
jkc
Original Poster

Thank you all for the useful info. We've decided to just take the train to most of the cities and rent a car within Florence. I find this site soooo helpful when it comes time to planning my trips. Thanks again.

J

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -