Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Driving versus train (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/driving-versus-train-194834/)

Shirley Oct 6th, 2001 12:12 PM

Driving versus train

I've read with interest all the great suggestions and experiences of past travellers to Italy. I'm having a hard time trying to decide whether to rent a car, or take side trips using tours or public transportation. I'm spending 5 days in Rome and 3 days in Amalfi, but have been told that I must see Naples and Pompeii. What can you suggest? See Naples and Pompeii while in Amalfi ('cause it's closer)? Rent a car to go from Rome to Naples? HELP!!

Brian Kilgore Oct 6th, 2001 01:21 PM

One person? Take the train. <BR> <BR>Two people? Drive, if the second person is any good at map reading. <BR> <BR>BAK

Gerry Oct 6th, 2001 01:37 PM

Trains do not go to Amalfi. You will have to travel by car or bus. The Amalfi drive is one of the most beautiful but scariest places in the world to drive. I couldn't do it. <BR>Naples is definately not a must see. There are better places to see in Rome or to go to from Rome for a day. <BR>You should try doing a little research(eg. travel guide) or search this forum for things to do on the Amalfi coast.

Paul Oct 6th, 2001 03:49 PM

Naples is not a great sightseeing city...trust me, tourists can be ripped off big time there, and it just isn't that interesting. Amalfi Coast has a great town called Ravello that is a must see. Pompeii ane Herculaneum are certainly worth a drive, and they are just a day trip from Amalfi. Sorrento around the square (just above the Marina) is a fun spot for a visit. Small streets, a little touristy maybe, but very charming. Capri is a great day trip by boat from Sorrento...really worth it, tourists and all. But you should have a car for all this...just be careful driving...it winds around a lot, but it's safe if you drive during the daylite hours! And the best pizza in the world, by the way!

Steve James Oct 7th, 2001 04:32 AM

Hello Shirley, <BR> <BR>With your itinerary I would use public transport. <BR>In Rome a car is a positive liability. <BR> <BR>Let me know if I can be of more help ... <BR> <BR>Steve

Patrick Oct 7th, 2001 02:55 PM

Are you arriving and leaving by plane from Rome? If so, I would suggest that you do without the car in Rome, but then take the train to the airport to pick up a car before doing the Amalfi coast. After that you can return the car right to the airport to take off. It is even one of the few airports that makes it easy to drop off one person with the luggage at the terminal, then return the car and easily walk to the terminal. I wish it were so easy at more airports in the states. By the way, we had a car on the Amalfi coast, but one day left it to take a boat from Positano to Amalfi. The return boats were cancelled and the bus (every couple of hours) couldn't begin to hold the people trying to get on. We were stuck an extra couple of hours trying to get the next bus, and then only got on because we pushed like some of the other maniacs. Some people were actually stranded there for hours more. Public transportation is not good or dependable on the Amalfi coast. The drive is a bit scary, but spectacular. I'd also opt out of Naples for such a short stay, but Pompeii is worth the stop. You could actually do it on the way to Amalfi if you got an early start.