Driving tour of Scotland

Dec 26th, 2000, 08:38 AM
JCollin

Driving tour of Scotland

I'll be spending 7 days in Scotland. Can someone recommend a good driving tour that starts/ends in Glasgow?

Dec 26th, 2000, 09:35 AM
Tom

Start at Glasgow and head for Pitlochry. Visit Sterling Castle and Rob Roy's grave along the way.

Stay in Pitlochry and make it your base.

On day two drive through Glen Coe to Fort William and back. Absolutely georgous.

On day three, drive to Inverness and return through Loch Ness back to Pitlochry.

On day four drive over the hills to Balmoral Castle, then onto the coast and down to St. Andrews and spend the night .

On day five drive through the borders and return to Glasgow.

Dec 26th, 2000, 09:51 AM
Simon

To the above itenaray, may I add a visit to Skye. You cross by bridge at Kyleakin, and should preferably spend a night on the island (best place is at a B&B in the capital city). really, you must not miss Skye. It is like going to Rome without visiting the Vatican, if you know what I mean.

Dec 26th, 2000, 12:12 PM
Tony Hughes

Don't wish to be flippant but I take it you've purchased a map and had a look at that? Use your initiative and look at where the roads go - there's usually a reason for that. Take a look at what's possible judging the distance and the type of road etc.

There are no motorways and precious few trunk roads (one step down) in the Highlands so driving up there will take longer than, say, in the central belt where the majority of the poluation live.

What time of year will you be there? Summer, yes? If not, the west coast is usually warmer than the east (although that is all relative!).

Mail me if you need any driving specific details.

Dec 26th, 2000, 01:44 PM
Richard

As usual, Mr.Hughes nitwitticims serve no purpose. In January of 1997 we drove from Manchester north, stopping overnight at Windemere and continuing to the coast of north Scotland with a side trip to Skye, no bridge then. The coast from Cape Wrath to Tongue is lovely. If you love the sea, this is a good drive. The Scots are a lovely people and the country is truly awesome.

Dec 26th, 2000, 02:23 PM
Tony Hughes

Au contraire, Richard (on the contrary). They annoy you!!

It makes sense to consult a road map before plaanning a road trip don't you think?

BTW 'awesome' is used far too many times in modern American-English.

Dec 26th, 2000, 02:31 PM
Elijah Hunt Rhodes

Richard, you're not being very clever. From what I've seen of your postings you are usually trying to make a fool of someone if they have a controversial opinion or if they are in any way different. Then you get your point over (which is sometimes good, don't get me wrong) but the first bit isn't needed at all. Save the sarcasm for someone that's good at it.

Dec 26th, 2000, 03:09 PM
Maira

Even if there are many people on this forum who disagree with me on this (uhum, Sheila...), I believe the Inverness/Loch Ness area is very beautiful and worth the drive up. I wasn't impress with Glasgow, but there are people on this forum whose opinions I have come to respect who think it is a great place. Maybe, I'll give another go someday... Our route was very similar to Tom's suggestion, but we ended at Edinburgh.

I don't mean to be Tony's translator, but what I understood he alluded to was for JCollin to provide a draft route on which to comment on (Engineers....it takes one to understand another....).

Dec 26th, 2000, 11:20 PM
Simon

Apart from Skye (BTW, the bridge is a toll bridge [5]) another awesome place is a lake in the lowlands, called Loch Lowry (?) if I remember the name well ... maybe someone else can confirm/comment ? I just went by on a coach trip back to Glasgow and it was so so beautiful.
Don't be afraid to try out the local grub ... it really is good.

Dec 26th, 2000, 11:24 PM
Simon

Checked out the map ... it was Loch Lomond ! So scenic !

Dec 27th, 2000, 01:05 AM
Tony Hughes

Maira got it in one, that's exactly what I meant.

whenever I attempt a road trip (and many of you know I'm doing a biggie quite soon) I plan an itinerary taking into account the routes available coupled with the time I have to do the trip. You have to do that first.

It's also more fun to plan a trip yourself, look for routes others haven't done, some of the backroads etc, don't always follow the crowd.

So Richard, dont be so quick to criticise.

Dec 28th, 2000, 07:53 AM
frank

Glasgow-Oban-Skye-Applecross-Ullapool-Inverness-Pitlochry-Glasgow

Dec 28th, 2000, 05:51 PM
steve

See some of the small castles - My favorite is Threave Castle south of Glasgow. Also really liked Doune and Campbell near Stirling.

Dec 28th, 2000, 06:07 PM
Danna

The Logan Botanical Garden south of Stranraer is wonderful. Portpatrick and Port Logan and the whole peninsula are treats. Our favorite place in Dumfries was Kirkcudbright and would make a good place to expore around. Just south of Threave Garden.

Have fun wherever you go the Scots are the friendliest of folks to be around.

Dec 28th, 2000, 06:09 PM
Danna

OOPS I meant our favorite place in Galloway was Kirkcudbright... not Dumfries... it makes a difference