Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Driving to Venice (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/driving-to-venice-123855/)

Sandy May 14th, 2001 08:39 AM

Driving to Venice

What are the problems with having a car in Venice? Would it be easier to stay on the mainland and catch a bus across the bridge? Thanks, leaving on 31st.

xxx May 14th, 2001 08:58 AM

Absolutely no problems with driving in Venice. There's little or no traffic, no red lights, and no stop signs. Traffic is so light, in fact, that you probably could drive blindfolded there the whole time and never hit another car. Best place to park: The rates at the triple-deck municipal garage in San Marco Square are the best in Europe. When you get back, let us know how everything worked out.

Carey May 14th, 2001 11:02 AM

There are no cars allowed in Venice proper. You will need to park your car in a parking ramp outside of the city, and then take a Vaparetto to wherever you need to go. It is very easy.

Sandy May 14th, 2001 12:27 PM

Okay, now I'm confused. Is the easy driving on the Mestre? If you can't drive on Venice proper, how do you get to the San Marco parking garage? Is staying in Mestre altogether a bad idea? I hate to spend $200+ a night for a hotel.Please help me with decision. I've been teaching high school too long, and I'm brain dead!

elaine May 14th, 2001 12:33 PM

Since cars are not allowed in Venice, these are your parking options. I have not done this, just compiled some information, especially from Venice expert Paulo: <BR>1. You can park in Mestre, and take a short train ride across a bridge into Venice. <BR>2. You can park on Isola del Tronchetto. Turn right just after you've crossed the long bridge connecting Venice to the continent; follow the signs to Tronchetto; ignore uniformed staff and drive directly to the parking lot ticket booth. From there you can catch a vaporetto to your final destination in Venice. For Info on parking at the Tronchetto garage: http://goeurope.about.com/travel/goe...e/aa120897.htm. <BR>March 2001 about $14 per day. <BR>3.. Continue straight after you've crossed the long bridge and pay attention to the first big building on your right; this is the Autorimessa Comunale (public garage); if the line is long just forget it; if there's no line either you're lucky or the garage is full. If you're not able to park in the Autorimessa, drive a little farther and take the first right turn; in front of you will be Garage San Marco (private parking garage and expensive, about $24 per day March 2001) (see also www.shineline.it/gsmarco/index.htm). <BR> <BR>I can't think of any good reason to stay in Mestre unless you absolutely can't find a low-priced hotel room at this late date. Mestre is ugly, and you do have to take the train back and forth, so you are captive to the schedule. <BR>Plus, IMO, you'll miss the "Venice <BR>experience" <BR>Try the www.venere.it <BR>website for some hotel suggestions, or send a bunch of emails or faxes yourself to some of the lower-cost hotels in Venice that have been recommended here. <BR>

Carol M. May 14th, 2001 01:15 PM

Parking is no problem - after you cross the bridge, find San Marco parking. We were a bit confused but stopped to ask and then found it with no problem. We pay $200 a night for our hotel - Hotel Firenze - which gave us a 20% coupon for parking. It cost us $18 per day. <BR>Venice at night is the best time after the daytrippers leave. Pop for the hotel - it's worth it. <BR>

alan May 15th, 2001 02:36 PM

Hi We were in Venice several years ago. Parked at the only hotel in Venice with a parking lot. I believe it was the Santa Chiara. It was near the hugh parking garage and the bus'. I found it at UTELL. It is a hotel booking service. It was very convenient and reasonable. Enjoy

Rod Hoots May 19th, 2001 05:16 PM

Venice is an island which is reached by a causeway from the mainland city of Mestre. Since there are no vehicles in the city, you must park your car at the end of the causeway and then go by ferry boat to your destination in the city. As you approach Mestre, watch for direction signs to Venice rather carefully. Once you get on the causeway, look carefully for signs to the "Tronchetto" parking area. It isn't marked as well as you might expect. The Tronchetto parking garage is very large, clean and well organized. You take a ticket from a machine on entrance and pay at a payment office on departure. After you enter the Tronchetto garage go as close as you can to the far end, because that is where the ferry boats depart. Just park your car (of course lock it and don't leave anything in sight) and then walk out to the end of the garage. You will see a one story building in front of you (this is where you pay on departure) and the ferry boat dock is just beyond it to the left. There are signs in English for just about everything.