Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   driving times (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/driving-times-848406/)

gwncanuck Jul 7th, 2010 08:01 AM

driving times

I've been using a variety of online trip planners to calculate driving times and distances between places but wonder just how realistic they are. I've never driven in Europe before and plan to next month. For example, we will be driving from Roissy in France to Antwerp and the planners, using the main autoroutes, give a distance of 320 kms and 3 hours driving time. Has anybody travelled this route within these limits? Any advice or recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks.

Palenque Jul 7th, 2010 08:16 AM

I have driven that route dozens of times and if and it's a big IF there are not bouchons (bottlenecks) that seem to be endemic then yes 3 hours would be about right - but don't bet your life on it.

ParisAmsterdam Jul 7th, 2010 08:20 AM

You can certainly do the 320 km in 3 hours.

What none of these map sites take into account are stops for fuel or rest/food stops for driver and passengers. Obviously stops for sight seeing etc aren't factored in either.

I have found the autoroute estimates not too far off when I subtract the time for stops we make. Smaller roads will not be as accurate as there are more things to see and a higher number of factors that can slow you down.

Rob

Dukey Jul 7th, 2010 08:28 AM

I think there will be at least ONE thing you'll enjoy about driving...there won't be a bunch of people hogging the so-called "passing lane" and that can makes things move a bit faster.

One thing: don't get upset if you are on some road and this very FAST train speeds BY you and your car and it's headed to the same destination you are.

Pvoyageuse Jul 7th, 2010 08:51 AM

I usually find viamichelin estimates very optimistic.

bobthenavigator Jul 7th, 2010 10:28 AM

I always add 10% !

hetismij Jul 7th, 2010 10:30 AM

Roissy to Antwerp or CDG to Antwerp? three and a half hours from CDG is about right if the roads are clear, nearer 4 from Roissy itself. Allow 4 to 4 and a half to be sure though.

There could be roadworks or vacation traffic or just an accident to block it but it is a straightforward trip.

Go via Lille (E17) rather than Brussels as there are a lot of road works on the motorways around Brussels this summer.

FrankS Jul 7th, 2010 10:36 AM

I find the michelin times a bit optimistic too for city and side roads, but their major autoroute numbers are pretty desd on.

gwncanuck Jul 8th, 2010 06:21 PM

Thanks everybody for the feedback! I feel more reassured about our itinerary now. I think I will definitely pad the estimates a bit to allow for rests, fuel stops, and possible traffic delays. By the way, I have used the AA route planner, google maps and the AFSA but I tried the viamichelin website and really like the detail they provide. I can combine this with the google streetview shots of key turns and I think we'll be good to go.

crckwc1 Jul 8th, 2010 08:18 PM

Just a reminder that there will probably be toll roads along your route and they don't accept American credit cards. In addition, some are not manned and may or may not give change. It's best to take along some coins and small denomination notes to feed the unmanned toll machines. Happy travels!